BIOS does not detect any devices

Hi All -

I'm helping a friend in need whose HP Pavillion p6320y does not detect any devices during startup. I.e., the brief startup shows memory being found properly, but when listing drives 1 - 4, none are found.

Looking in the bios, and noting all settings for drives, then reloading default settings (hoping for bios corruption) gave the same result. All the settings were the same after resetting to default (and no drives were found).

The PC was working yesterday and was running Ubuntu off of a CD.

Hard to imagine what could be wrong outside of a motherboard problem, but then that's what I'm asking. Any other reasonable things to try?

Best Regards to all,

David

Hi All -

I'm helping a friend in need whose HP Pavillion p6320y does not detect any devices during startup. I.e., the brief startup shows memory being found properly, but when listing drives 1 - 4, none are found.

Looking in the bios, and noting all settings for drives, then reloading default settings (hoping for bios corruption) gave the same result. All the settings were the same after resetting to default (and no drives were found).

The PC was working yesterday and was running Ubuntu off of a CD.

Hard to imagine what could be wrong outside of a motherboard problem, but then that's what I'm asking. Any other reasonable things to try?

Best Regards to all,

David

The bios has probably been setup to use AHCI or onboard RAID functionality. In those cases, HDD manipulation will be handed over to the appropriate software sitting on the boards ROM. So, it'll definitely not show up in bios.

Back