BIOS not detecting hard drive but dos directory command does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes my pc will boot and launch Windows fine, other times, it will go to a black screen asking for a boot disk. It flashes the Windows XP loading screen first before the error. Other times, after it's booted correctly, it will just go to the black screen. I took it to someone to fix, and it never did it for them. They left it on for 3 days. However, a few hours after I got it home and running, it went to the boot disk screen? Any suggesstions?

Sorry, but your post is confusing in that it doesn't appear to coinside with the topic. So your drive doesnt show up in BIOS at all but still boots?

It shows up sometimes and boots sometimes. Sometimes it tries to boot, but then asks for the boot disk. Sometimes it boots up fine, but after running for a while, it goes to the boot disk screen. At the command prompt, it will give the directory listing for the hard drive when BIOS is seeing it at all.

If there are points at which your BIOS no longer sees the drive, then I suspect that is the cause of your problems. First thing I'd try is a BIOS update. Check the motherboard's manufacturors (or OEM's) website for an update. I would also check the ribbon cable connecting the hard disk to the motherboard. It's not unheard of that these cables go bad, you may want to try switching it out if you have an extra.

Next I'd check jumper settings on the hard drive. If the hard drive is the only device on the cable, try putting the drive on the last connector on the cable and setting its jumpers to Cable Select. If that doesn't work, try setting it to Master. If you're sharing this cable with another devices, try unplugging the device and see if that resolves your problem.

After following panicx's suggestion i would also replace the CMOS battery on the MBoard...about 3 bucks. It's about the size of a dime. It sounds like the BIOS settings are not being retained and this should do the trick.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back