I have one Sata drive and one IDE
I need to boot to Sata
I have set the BIOS to do this and it does ONCE only

Each time I turn pc on or restart it defaults to the IDE

Please help not sure what to do now

TIA
Jan

It's most likely the small cmos button battery requires replacing
If this is a Desktop computer you will need to download the free service\operational manual from your computer's (if brand name) or Motherboard's home support site
This will help in locating this cmos battery, and also advise you on electrical and anti-static precautions

Please replace the CMOS battery

TY Kim
I think I was perhaps choosing the wrong menu to set boot order.:eek:
I did change the battery .. no change

When I boot pc (desktop) I have the choices of
Boot Menu (Esc)
or
Setup (F1)

So I was choosing boot menu as I did not even notice the Setup choice
Is Boot menu just another option for occasional changes in the boot order? and then upon reboot it goes back to the default?

Anyway I did go into Setup and I have it setup and saved now properly in the bios.
Also I realized my IDE drive was on cable select I have now switched it to slave.

Not really certain if it was changing both that corrected the error but I know for sure the IDE in the bios WAS set as master

Thank You for your help I had never even suspected the battery but I now see that could be an issue.

Jan

Yes that setting "Boot Menu (Esc)" is for occasional change of boot order
To save the boot setting fo all time, then as you have discovered, you will need to go into Bios setup, change the boot order, then Save and Exit.

Regarding the Master\Slave jumper, found only on ATA (or IDE) connected Harddrives
Since about 10yrs ago (probably more now!) all Drives should be jumpered as CS (Cable Select) Unless your Drive or Bios version is very old.

Thanks again Kim IThis has drivven me crazy for a week now lol Wish I had found forum sooner and umm perhaps read the screen more thoroughly. I have been into BIO a million times over the years and this boot screen suprised me I just thought it was the simpler way to do it ugh lol

I have read on another forum to not use the CS when using an IDE with a sata so that is why i did that also. So not sure now but I think I best just leave it as it is all working finally.

Thanks again :) what would I do without these forums
Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back