BIOS oddity: has anyone else noticed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisandBailey

I have a few ASUS manual and one MSI manual from two years ago to my newest build, which uses the ASUS PQ5.

In the older manuals, the sequence on the main page that shows the IDE and SATA connections goes like this: Floppy Drive, IDE, SATA.

In the newest manual, the PQ5, the sequence goes: Floppy Drive, SATA.

IDE is no longer there.

When I went into the BIOS, I was looking for the IDE connections on the main page and they were not there, but they were in the Boot Order.

Has anyone else noticed this in the more recent BIOS settings?

It does have an IDE socket. Luvhuffer in my post in General Hardware answered the question in saying that the ASUS PQ5 circuit board does not list IDE connections on the main page of the BIOS. He has such a circuit board. The IDE connections do show up in the Boot Order. Well, as long as they work, I won't complain about it. But it helps to understand it. Anyway, I think my question is answered.

Interesting point about setting the SATA controller to IDE. I'm sure it works, I'm not sure where to look. In the management of the connectors, the default is IDE, and in the individual SATAs, the default is Enhanced.

This is anecdotal, but it sort of fits the theme of the thread.

I had an Intel G965WHMK board. When you fired it up for the first time, it would make a "guess" as to how the SATA HDDs were to be configured. With one HDD plugged in, the board would auto-configure to "run as IDE". But, if you tried to fire up the board with 2 SATA HDDs attached, it would "guess" that you were going to add RAID drivers, so you had to manually configure the drive mode, or it would just go on and on in an IDE loop.

Once the OS was installed however, you could add or subtract drives with impunity, and it would continue to run them as IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back