BIOS problems... please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_2006

Hi.

I am experiencing BIOS (well I think they're BIOS related) problems on two PCs.

Computer 1
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
256 MB RAM
32 MB nVidia GeForce video card

what happens with this PC is sometimes I get the error: "CMOS Checksum error - defaults loaded..... Press F1 to continue / Press DEL to enter setup"

If I press F1, Windows 2000 continues to load normally, but the only problem is the date is set at 1 Jan 2000 at 12.00am. If I don't get the CMOS checksum error (in most cases I don't), Windows loads normally. However, say I switch the PC off at 5pm Monday and switch it on at 10am Tuesday, the system time will be say 4am Tuesday morning :S

Is the CPU clock (or whatever it is called) dead, or nearing it? Any ideas please? BTW, I bought this PC new in December 2002.

Computer 2
Don't know exact specs, but can find out
256 MB RAM (32MB given to video card)
667 Mhz Intel processor

The problem with this PC is different. Switch it on and it jumps straight into BIOS. I played around with it for a while, and the only way it can start up is by resetting defaults, saving and exiting (and that is everytime it starts which is quite inconvenient). Resetting to defaults also causes the time to reset to 1 Jan 2000 at 12.00am.

The problem with this one seems a little more obvious. It says the computer hung due to improper FSB/SD RAM frequency (or something similar). It starts at 66/66 (Safe mode) each time. How would I go about finding the correct value for this as the manual provides very little detail.

Any ideas would be much appreciated :) I'm not too much into hardware anymore. Neither of these computers have been over clocked or anything. I can get more details if needed.

Both of those computers are elderly, so if you haven't replaced the BIOS batteries on the motherboards, the problems could have to do with weak batteries.

Make sure that you get the correct battries as replacements by taking the old ones in to a reputable computer shop.

You could also try reflashing the BIOSes with the latest updates from the motherboard manufacturers' sites.

If necessary, visit these pages on the BIOS:

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back