Bios update error

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP! having trouble since updating my Mainboard bios...:-(

ASUS P4S800D

hadn't updated the bios since initial install from MB CD. (Bios version 1005.002)
Went to main ASUS site and downloaded update 1011, but ever since then PC is wieding out! now when press shutdown, hybenate etc. it restarts...tried to rollback to older bios but have same problem

also the CD Rom and DVD rom are not responding anymore (unless I go to their properties and press "populate"?)

Any help...much appreciated!!

Welcome to Techspot!
It sounds like your machine was fine before the Flash, if this true, you have just learned Rule # 1 about updating.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.Generally Flashing rom files is very touchy business, and those updates are for specific problems. If you are not experiencing those specific problems you really should not do it.
Have you tried to Clear your CMOS ?
How many update files are availible between the file you had and the file you updated to?
If there is at least 1 file in this group, I would try it.
Also, if your bios is recognizing the Rom drives properly. Then just uninstall the drives in device Manager and reboot , this will force Windows to reinstall them properly.

I don't know the exact number, but there are quite a number of updates between the version installed and "latest" bios update on ASUS site...

also somewhere I got things mixed up, while I do know the basic rule of "why fix if ain't broke..." have also heard that is recomended to regularly update drivers...so thot the same applied for mobos?

btw how do you clear the CMOS? :) - sorry I'm still a beginner

also I don't exactly follow what you mean by Bios recognizing the ROM drives properly - if you have a chance could you explain that a bit more?

THANX 4 the help! :)

"If it ain't broke don't fix..."
Update rule... update your Windows O/S at microsoft constantly ,so some crazed terrorist doesn't hijack your system.
Update drivers,firmware, only if there is a published correction that relates to your system, or you are having some errors/related problems .

No hard fast rule always works , but you can reduce aggrivations by learning to discern between the two .

You will have to check your owner's manual for the correct procedure,often you change a jumper for a few secounds and then reboot.You should go direct to Bios setup at the reboot as settings will be changed to Default and you may have to make changes.If your settings are good now make note of them before you Clear CMOS.
One of the Bios screens will show the IDE channels and the devices connected, your CDrom will be listed including it's model # if it is not there is a problem.
At the web site where your Bios version was listed they usually list a history that will describe the reasons for the update.See if you can find one that relates to your machine rather than use the very latest.

Merci! :) I'll check into all that...btw one more lil ?...Is there a way to check HD speed (5400 / 7200)

Had another lil ? if you have time :)

@ Dual Channel

I read from Intel site in order to configure a system to run in dual channel mode have to load two symmetrical DIMMs (ie CH A0 & CH B0) (I have 2X 512DDR Kingston)

but a friend of mine was arguing that there was a way to load both ram chips in A0 & A1, and then change a setting in the bios...is that true? - not that I would do it...but for info sake was curious...

Thanx for the help!

HDD speed based on 5400 or 7200 is the RPM of the actual platters. I do not know for certain ,but Sandra Sisoft diagnostics covers a huge amount of particulars .There is a free version and a Pro- $ . Actual Data transfer rating is measured -ATA , eg 33,66,100,133 MHz and MB per sec. etc.

I don't know what your friend means, but basically all Dual channel Ram utilizes both channels Duh!
Always install Ram according to the configuration stipulated by the Owner's Manual etc.
I cannot imagine how a Bios setting could re route instructions to and from the Ram , however I am not an engineer, So ! Ehh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back