Bios upgrade and backup-how?

By mad_havan
Nov 28, 2005
    Intel(R)Desktop Board D865GBF
    Intel(R) Pentium(R)4 CPU 3.00GHZ
    1 GB DDR RAM
    I was having the problem of BSOD,which after replacing the MOBO has stopped...But the random restarts still continue...The system restarts randomly...I'd posted this issue in the winxp forum and was asked to try upgrading the BIOS..Am new to all this so pls bear with me and help..
    1) I am not able to find out who my BIOS manufacturer is...Even before i can see, it goes into the WINXP splash screen..Is there any other way to find out who the BIOS manufacturer is?
    I went into the intel website
    to download the BIOS upgrade from there...Will that work well or should i download the upgrade only from the BIOS manufacturer's site?
    But i see a EXPRESS BIOS and a FLASH BIOS update.which one should i download?
    Also,i find BIOS UPDATE in the below link(intel again)!#BIO
    now,which one should i download?

2) Most importantly,how can i backup my existing BIOS, other than the manual method of noting it down on paper?

any kind of suggestions would be of help...these restarts are giving me a tough time...
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Doesn't matter whether you use Iflash of Express. The latter is simpler to use I suppose.

Most BIOS flashing utlities give you the option to save a backup copy of the existing BIOS.
  3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

I fyou have an intel obard then download the bios update from Intel. also note that on their support site in the bios download section they have a bios download you can use for recovering from a bad flash I would download that as well.. the express bios flashis the easiest to use since you can start it from within windows but your board has to support that feature. if it doesnt then yo will have to use the regular flash method of using a floppy.
  4. mad_havan

mad_havan TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

ok, so both of you suggest i use the express Bios update... i shall do that..and i have downloaded the recovery bios file also.just that i wasn't sure whether it will be too late to recover the BIOS after something is messed up...
  5. mad_havan

Bios use

I've done the BIOS UPGRADE,but to no avail...Nothing seems to have changed...Still the system restarts randomly..I've also been getting a screen with the following message at the system boot.Not that i got this after the BIOS upgrade.i got this once even before that.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz

DDR320-------Operating in dual-channel dynamic paging mode.

1008MB system RAM

Legacy Keyboard -------- Detected
    Legacy Mouse -------- Detected
    USB Legacy -------- Enabled

Fixed Disk 0: PM-ST380013AS

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad
    CMOS Date/Time Not Set

Press <F4> to Run SETUP

After i got this screen,when i restarted,the date had automatically got changed.
    Further, is there any way wherein we can check the status of the PSU?
    Please help...All suggestions are valuable..
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Enter BIOS setup as instructed and exit, saving the settings.

The "status" of the PSU is either on or off :p And you an see it from your computer working or not :p

You can buy special PSU testers of course..
  7. mad_havan

BIOS Setup as instructed by whom,didn't really follow...
  8. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.