bios upgrade?? wont work..

By dae_amp_ika_dtp
Sep 30, 2006
  1. i know its a dumb question. but is there a way to format my floppy in IBM format using software? i dont have a ibm drive. and i dont wana buy a 10 pack of pre formatted ibm disk. the problem is. im trying to upgrade a ms-6330 v2 motherboard. its a gateway oem board made by msi. the bios update will only work on a ibm format floppy disk. as it says on the gayteway site "When updating your computer's BIOS, the update process fails if you use a floppy disk formatted in Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows NT®, or Windows XP. Instead, use a new IBM pre-formatted disk. " this sound like bs to me. they wont even give me a iso version at least. any help is apreciated
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

I don't think they mean ibm format, i think they mean a formatted disk made by ibm.
  3. korrupt

korrupt TS Rookie Posts: 716

lol! Yeh, I agree with Rik.

Why do you need to do a BIOS upgrade anyways? As Howard Hopkinso said on a thread a few weeks back: "If it aint broke, dont fix it"

4. dae_amp_ika_dtp

dae_amp_ika_dtp TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 42

oh. lol. ok then. well its for a computer that needs the update in order to have xp running smoothly. well i tried a disk made by ibm and it didnt work. like i said i am not about to go out and buy a 10 pack of old school media. well i'll keep trying these old floppies lol.
  5. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Where did you get the bios update from? And what exactly do you mean by "it didnt work"?
  6. dae_amp_ika_dtp

i got the update from i tried a ibm floppy with the bios files, and i got the error saying that its not a bootable diskette. thats why gateway put a note not to format the floppy using windows 2000-xp. but yeah i dont have any new floppys lying around. only old ones. so im not sure if they were formated with windows 2000 and up. im really not willing to buy a 10 pack. but i will if its my only option. thanks for the help.
  7. dae_amp_ika_dtp

nvm. i got it to work. it had nothing to do with new ibm disk. i just had to make a boot disk. and load the files from there. thanks for the help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.