BIOS won't recognize RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought another Kingston 512mb PC3200 DDR400 memory module to increase my total RAM to 1024mb... I installed it, but for some reason BIOS won't recognize the new module. I only get 512mb RAM....

Could it be because I have my other Kingston module set at 266mhz? (in order to match my CPU, computer won't boot otherwise.)

Have you switched the slots they are in? Have you also just tried putting the new one in and seeing if it is not faulty ram?

The speed difference might be a good indication of subtle differences in manufacturing. This difference can cause compatibility problems with memories.

You should return the memory and buy either a different brand of fast memory (more expensive memory tends to have higher compatability) or memory as close to the speed of your current module as possible.

Kingston "ValueRAM" is perfectly fine (if that is what you purchased), but will not always work in conjuction with other memories or with all boards. However, it is less costly than some of the other premium stuff. :)

What does your motherboard support? If it only supports up to 266Mhz then you can't pop in a 400Mhz stick.

Well, that's not entirely true. Some boards are good at automatically underclocking ram to match, but it doesn't sound like yours is one of those.

In general, it is a bad idea to mix ram speeds.

Check your mobos user manual to see what ram it supports. If it CAN support 400Mhz then try sticking JUST the 400Mhz in there and seeing if you can boot up.

No, you misunderstood. The other RAM stick is exactly like the new one, DDR400 and PC3200, but I have manually underclocked it to 266 in order to match my CPU that's running at 133 (It won't boot if I set it to 400) my mobo is Soltek kt400a-c and cpu AMD athlon xp 2000. I just tried resetting BIOS, no luck. Guess I'll have start switching the modules around in different sockets. I've just beem reluctant to do that 'cause I have to remove my graphics card every time I insert or remove memory sticks! :rolleyes:

This is what you mobo manual says about ddr400 memory.

This series supports up to 2GB unbuffered *DDR 400/333/266 SDRAM,
with 2 DDR DIMM slots on board. Do not insert other type of modules
into these slots. Memory support is upgradable to DDR 400 without
guarantee of success in BIOS Setup.

Hope this helps.

Regards Howard :)

Whoa, it works now! I inserted the new module to the first slot and and the old one to the second (switched them around) and booted up...1024mb!

Can't explain it though, as the two modules should be identical. I checked, they're both KVR400X64C3A/512. Well, who cares as long as it works. Thanks for all the help, guys. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back