Bios!

Status
Not open for further replies.

z28spd

I have a DFI LanParty UT SLI-D Mobo. I just went to their website to get the latest BIOS flash. Made sure I got the right one and flashed via WinFlash in windows. Restart computer everything powers up, no video, and it just BEEPS about every 3 seconds! AH anything i can do?! Why would it do this! Nothing went wrong during the flash, no power outages.

Maybe you could show us what bios you have.
Also check the manual as you may have to reset the bios jumper or some other thing you may have to do.

yes i got this fixed before reading the replies. I cleared the CMOS. But now when I boot up it asks me to insert boot disk. Do I have to reinstall windows and lose all my data? I put the windows cd in and booted and selected the recovery option. C:\Windows showed up as a option under recovery but it asks me for the administrator password and I don't have one that i know of.

You have to go into your bios and set your first boot device at drive0. You may have your first boot device as your cdrom or your floppy drive.

so i dont want my first boot device as my cd-rom or floppy, it should be drive0 correct.

(i cant try this stuff right now because i'm at work until late tonight)

ok so i reloaded my last CMOS settings because it had a backup thing or somethin, and my computer starts up and gets to the windows loading screen with the blue bar. (I have win xp), then the computer just reboots? what now

I am a bit unsure of where you are right now because of the different issues you have reported and not exactly sure of what you did with the "backup thing"
Presuming that your bios and mobo have some sort of backup so that you can get your old bios back, then i would imagine you are at some sort of hardware impasse, but i am not 100% sure on that.
One way to find out would be to remove any hardware that you have on your pc that you absolutely dont need. Also go into your bios and see if there is a "minimum or default setting" and go for that. Dont go for maximized or optimum setting, go for the one i described, min or default setting, see if that helps you any.
I have to admit i dont really have any experience with lanparty mobos, although i may not need to to help you out.
One question. Was all running fine before you tried installing that bios update or were you have some issues at the time and hoped that a new bios install would help you out? Usually a new bios install wont help and will make things worse or no better, unless the new bios is for a new cpu or other piece of hardware. It might be helpful to find out why you did the bios upgrade. Of course, its possible you just decided to give the new bios a try on a whim, not like we all havent done that, lol, even though its not really always a wise move.

haha ya i was just updating it because i was going to try some overclocking. By the backup i mean the CMOS has like an undeletable backup i guess if you enable it to save your CMOS which I Luckily had. So i went in and loaded in the old saved CMOS and i loaded to the windows load screen and right as it showed up the system reboots. and yes the system was working fine before all of this, and no new hardware

If you are still having problems then i suggest you take your system down to its basics. One stick of ram (unless its rdram),video, keyboard and mouse and remove and uninstall everything else.
Then try booting up with just this minimum. In the end, if we still havent found the problem, i imagine a power supply test would be in order. After that would be to take the motherboard out of the case and try booting up that way. However, in your case, i dont see where taking the motherboard out of the case would be called for.

Also, there may be a different between backing up the bios and going to the previous bios and re-setting the bios. Therefore i would ask you to consult your mobo manual and do exactly as its says to re-set the bios. Again i point out that you dont want to use the backup feature but you want to re-set the bios you have now.

ok i went ahead and reformatted one of my hard drives and installed windows on it. Now once ive installed and been inside windows I cant change my BIOS to boot from hard disk or windows will not startup. I can only get it to startup when i boot from cd? what thhe heck!

what kind of hard drive is this? Sata or IDE? also how is your bios setup? newer Boards usually have three different settings. 1.Sata enabled PATA (IDE) disabled 2. PATA enabled SATA disabled. 3. Sata and PATA enabled ( also referred to as "enhanced" in some bios. make sure that you have the setting for both SATA and PATA to be enabled.

i had windows installed on an IDE drive and my second hard drive was a SATA. Then when i reinstalled windows I installed it on the SATA and am using the IDE as the second hard drive.

don't mix IDE or SATA. Use one type or the other. Windows sometimes gets confused and defaults to IDE.

that is because your boot has been altered.

You're going to have to recover your data, and reformat.

You might be able to go into the "boot.ini" and remove the info for your sata drive and then perhaps windows will boot to your ide0 drive, provided you have it set in bios correctly. However, if you have sata files on your hard drive, the boot.ini fix may not work, but its likely worth a try. You can always put it back the way it was.

Here is info on sata that you would enable\disable in your bios:
The bios in newer motherboards (mobos) usually have three different settings.
Sata enabled PATA ( or IDE) disabled
PATA (or IDE) enabled SATA disabled.
Sata and PATA enabled or perhaps called "enhanced", depends on your bios.
Make sure that you have the settings right for your case. If you are taking out the sata then you have to make the corresponding changes in your bios.
And make sure you first boot device is ide0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back