Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 Motherboard overheating issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor587

I not-so recently installed this mATX motherboard in my mATX case and after extensive gaming or being on too long, my computer would restart. I thought this was an overheating issue so I used my fingers and put them on the CPU heatsink - fine. I tried the chipset - a little hot. I blamed the chipset for this crashing and added a fan to the heatsink of the chipset. My computer continued to restart. I recently felt the Graphics processor (integrated on the mobo) and it was SCORCHING. I am near positive that this is the issue. Should I get a ram-sink for it or a normal chipset heatsink? For some reason, nVidia is having REDICULOUS problems with overheating (7900GT cards, and apparently 6100 chipset motherboards) and it's been pissing me off. Any help is appreciated.

Victor587 said:
I not-so recently installed this mATX motherboard in my mATX case and after extensive gaming or being on too long, my computer would restart. I thought this was an overheating issue so I used my fingers and put them on the CPU heatsink - fine. I tried the chipset - a little hot. I blamed the chipset for this crashing and added a fan to the heatsink of the chipset. My computer continued to restart. I recently felt the Graphics processor (integrated on the mobo) and it was SCORCHING. I am near positive that this is the issue. Should I get a ram-sink for it or a normal chipset heatsink? For some reason, nVidia is having REDICULOUS problems with overheating (7900GT cards, and apparently 6100 chipset motherboards) and it's been pissing me off. Any help is appreciated.
I'm not sure how integrated graphics work, but I can get an idea from what you're saying.

So it has no heatsink at all? If you play graphically intense games your GPU will increase in temperature dramatically. You should consider getting a card and straying from the integrated stuff altogether, though, if you play more modern games.

Intergrated are not a good idea - especially if you play a lot of games. i recomend getting a card. Good luck,

Regards,

Korrupt

no, no... I have a card. My card is perfect. I have the integrated graphics disabled, but for some stupid reason the chip is still running and it's HOT. I am looking for heatsinks and fan combos/just heatsinks tomorrow with my dad at some local pc stores. If not, I'm newegging tomorrow.

If its intergrated into the board then you should go into display adapters in your system settings and disable it. Thats the only thing I can think of.

The heatsink will be very hot, even if you disable the integrated graphics. The nvidia chipset is the chip that generates the heat. The only way I found to solve the problem (I have almost the same board) is to add a small 40mm fan to the heatsink, and power it using a external 12V power supply, or connecting it to the PSU.
Only then the chipset stays very cool.

I just touched my 6100's heatsink and it is not very hot. It does use the onboard video and it's on 24/7 at 100% CPU load. Is the case air flow a problem? How about the PSU? mATX cases come with very low power PSUs.

Hey Victor587 Was the CPU heatsink slightly cool or at least warm? if it isnt warm at all it COULD be that it's oriented on the Proc backwards, and the heat isnt being transferred correctly. I have seen that done more that once...
Of course this depends on the retainer setup, and could be a moot point..it cause the same symptoms you describe.

Just thinking on the KB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back