BioWare's next major game gets delayed, Mass Effect franchise reportedly on hiatus

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson revealed during a recent call with investors that BioWare’s next major game has been postponed. Originally scheduled to launch by the end of March 2018, the as-yet-named title (codenamed Dylan) has been pushed back to EA’s 2019 fiscal year which runs from April 2018 through March 2019.

Unfortunately, the admission wasn’t specific meaning we could be looking at a delay of as little as a few weeks or up to an entire year.

Wilson said during the call that they were very pleased with the progress of the new IP from BioWare, noting that the design is stunning, the gameplay mechanics are excellent and the action will be exhilarating.

It’s built around a live service and will feature a “disruptive” new social design which necessitated the delay, he added.

In related news, Kotaku is reporting that four sources have confirmed that BioWare has put the Mass Effect franchise on hiatus following the recent launch of Mass Effect: Andromeda. Worse yet, the game’s developer – BioWare Montreal – is reportedly being turned into a support studio.

Andromeda, if you recall, arrived this past March to lukewarm reviews thanks largely in part to wonky animations and writing that could have been better.

This doesn’t mean BioWare is giving up on Mass Effect – it’s just taking a break, sources tell Kotaku.

Permalink to story.

"Andromeda, if you recall, arrived this past March to lukewarm reviews..."

That's putting it politely. It was pretty much trashed by the majority of professional reviewers and flat-out reviled by the bulk of user reviews.

"Andromeda, if you recall, arrived this past March to lukewarm reviews..."

That's putting it politely. It was pretty much trashed by the majority of professional reviewers and flat-out reviled by the bulk of user reviews.

Why is codename Dylan being delayed?

Because they don't want to repeat Andromeda.

"It’s built around a live service and will feature a “disruptive” new social design which necessitated the delay, he added."

Just what everyone wanted. I would say Bioware is dead but that was ages ago..now its a zombie with pieces falling off.

I just finished up the single player campaign last night. I had some issues with it but it's nowhere near as bad as so many painted it to be. It's not the best Mass Effect game, but its definitely not ME3. I find a lot of harsh critics don't even own it and refer to reviews vs their own experience. It's too bad if the franchise gets nixed for this.

I just finished up the single player campaign last night. I had some issues with it but it's nowhere near as bad as so many painted it to be. It's not the best Mass Effect game, but its definitely not ME3. I find a lot of harsh critics don't even own it and refer to reviews vs their own experience. It's too bad if the franchise gets nixed for this.
You are right, it's not ME3. ME3 was so much better.

I'm probably around halfway through the campaign, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Agreed that it's not as good as some of the previous games, but I think that's due to storyline rather than gameplay/graphics. The graphics are great, some of the views are stunning. It's a new story in the ME universe and needs time to develop. I've had no problems, it's stable and runs well. I do enjoy the odd animation glitch, last night someone had their hand waving around inside her head. Although from my experience, these glitches are rare. I don't think they'll drop ME, too big a money maker.

While MEA has some good points its hopelessly outclassed by original Trilogy campaign.

In particular I love MEA MP, its much improved over ME3 without stupid 'glued-to' cover interaction which is so infuriating. Still, MEA MP is not the same without Reapers, Collectors, Geth or Cerberus Nazis. I will gladly return to Trilogy as it means so much to me. Simply put, as a ME nutter, MEA is very flat story-wise up to let say 60% completion. Grinding campaign slowly even on my first run. Trying to enjoy the story as much as possible (80ish% completed).

Yesterdays 1.06 patch again required 'repairing' the game even if it was box standard version and updater again ****ed up things. While some stuff was improved somewhat still its not the stuff we know from previous parts (e.g. Raptor sniper rifle still have spread like Geth Spitfire) and sound bug in MP is still present, teleporting Fiend still present... Worst thing is that HUD now doesn't scale properly on resolutions of 1440p+ - for most folks only in multiplayer, with some reports that it also affecting single player campaign. It stays in 4:3. Ugh... Its playable OK (except some weird super ultra wide LCDs), but why they simply can't fix 10 things and don't screw 8 others in the process?

Hiatus?! Everybody at Bioware should be put in stockade and freed only after at least 75% of bugs is fixed.

EA Origin. The most bloody hateful piece of software ever released. Especially if you don't utilize any of the Cloud functionality. Quote from EA support how to solve problem with a game which can't be started: "Delete saved games, it will sync from the Cloud" WTF!?! EA Origin - its criminal.

Andromeda seems interesting... I played like 5 hours of it before turning back to my Heroes of The Storm...
There's a lot of good things in Andromeda... The action is really interesting, and the story is really well done, but they stiched both so badly... I need to travel back and forth like I only needed back in the World of Warcraft days, the navigation system (at least while walking by yourself...) is far from being good, and come on, why would I need a nav system to walk on my own damn ship?

They could had done a better job with level design... If as the story says I would spent YEARS on a colonization space ship, why the hell I would have to spent SO MUCH DAMN TIME taking a shutle from one part to another? Ok you can count hard scifi on it, but even that shuttle could be so much more useful... And even when you are on the middle of the action, the level design don't help a thing... Come one, it's a action RPG, even Titalfall offers me some parkour so I can get myself in/out of dying from walking in the 'wide' side, as in not falling to death from a cliff... In Andromeda, the level design/terrain is totally impratical. It doesn't make the game more interesting, it's just an annoyance after annoyance... I need to jump and avoid oh some much obstacles while just walking, while I try to navigate myself into the action is, like 30 minutes hike to some place I don't know how to get there. It's like going at rush hour to that one interesting restaurant in the corner of the street you can't remember the name. Yeah, seems like a good idea, but the execution would tire me, and I don't even know if really worth.

Then come the story, mainly delivered thru really long long dialogues... I love dialogues in games, don't get me wrong. But forcing me to dialogue with NPC's for 2/3 of the game time to complete quests... That's like getting World of Warcraft and making it's quest delivery dialogues ten times longer. Andromeda have the setting and pontential to deliver a truly deep scifi story, but the delivery suck's as hell. I bet anyone here could figure out countless ways to deliver back story in a game in away that's non disruptive to the gameplay, but in Andromeda it's like "now SEAT DOWN and ready that book/dialogue before the action continues..".

Andromeda could be something really big and good, but what they actually did was getting good graphics with sub par combat/nav system (the cover system is confuse... get The Division cover system, it's wonderful to play with it... also navigation on The Division is better...) and put it together with a thick book of scifi and someone said "There, it seems good, pack and sell". And I spent my money on that piece of sheit, and now I can't have a refund, because I couldn't play it as soon as I installed it.

Wel, enough of my rant, but that's all my feelings about Andromeda. Now if someone please mod The Division to look like Andromeda, that would be a far better Andromeda game.

Hiatus?! Everybody at Bioware should be put in stockade and freed only after at least 75% of bugs is fixed.

No, they should be permafrost till someone fix this horrendous cover system, put in an at least functional navigation system (because level design on Andromeda sucks so much we REALLY need a nav system...), and please get someone to simply make the game terrain passable, because from the 5 hours I played, 3 was avoiding the f***ng terrain obstacles. We got plasma rifles and spaceships but still can't get half decent gps? ... Come one.

I will not even start to talk about having to keep another client (EA Origin) in my PC just to play one game... They want to be Steam, fine, BUY Steam and leave my machine alone... or at least keep that damn thing as an background windows service so I don't have to keep seeing it on my tray bar.

Part of me wants to say it's actually quite sad that tech sites act like it's a breaking headline news-flash event that AAA studio's are working on new IP. But when you look at the "stable" of games:-

Pre-EA Acquisition Bioware New Franchises (1996-2008) = Shattered Steel, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars : KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age (5 year in the making DA:O was well over half-completed before being acquired by EA therefore is included here).

Post-EA Acquisition Bioware New Franchises (2008-2017) = None.

[Explains to kids with nostalgic tears] "But then that was the old Bioware from the 90's / early 2000's in an era when creating new franchises after a couple of sequels / 3-4 years was the norm rather than the modern AAA "evolution" of flogging the same few dead horses well into the afterlife with +10-15 years of over-sequelization..."

40+ hours on record. It's terrible.

I thought Mass Effect 2 was a great game mainly to the story, never understood the hype of the first and third game. First game had the generic mass effect story with horrible PC controls. Third game felt like it was backed into a corner and rushed.

I thought Mass Effect 2 was a great game mainly to the story, never understood the hype of the first and third game. First game had the generic mass effect story with horrible PC controls. Third game felt like it was backed into a corner and rushed.
The third game (ME3) was the consequence of Bioware either unable or unwilling to deal with every possible story line/choices players made to that point. The crude solution for the story ending was to give the player a choice of A, B, or C. Completely making all their characters career choices almost completely irrelevant. It was bad enough that Shepard dies at the start of ME2 and was resurrected and reset; to end the series (ME3 on the rails of 3 worthless color choices was an incomprehensible let down.

Last edited:
Back