BitTorrent set to monetize content Bundles with hybrid crowdfunding system

Justin Kahn

bittorrent bundles

With a mix between the concepts Netflix and Kickstarter made popular, BitTorrent will be entering into the original content space in a unique way. Coming this fall, the company will be introducing the pilot episode of its very first original show called Children of the Machine through BitTorrent Bundles. Having already been downloaded over 100 million times, Bundles are essentially a way for content creators to both interface with and distribute directly to fans and consumers. After giving up an email address users are able to download the content, which features acts like Madonna and Moby, for completely free. But now, BitTorrent is introducing the capability for artists and content creators to add a paywall to the Bundles in what could amount to a type of crowdfunding like service as much as an on-demand one.

Marco Weber of Rapid Eyes Studios, who is partnered with BitTorrent on the production of Children of the Machine, said the paywall allows for content creators to have full control over how their work is funded. "I looked at how Kickstarter evolved, and the success of Netflix...And my idea was to marry these two concepts," Weber said.

While Children of the Machine's pilot episode will be free, it will be up to users as to whether or not to the show will continue from there. As many as 250,000 people will need to pitch in about $10 each via Bundle paywalls in order for the show to continue for an entire first season. While certainly not guaranteed with a funding goal that lofty, BitTorrent is reportedly adding a free music artist Bundle to the mix in order to sweeten the deal. There have been no details as to which artist and what that Bundle will include at this time.

Permalink to story.

Beware! Bittorrent is loaded with malware! It is install automatic without any warning or optional settings. It is called Conduit and is difficult to remove. Luckily, I found qbittorrent and it is spam free. The more you know.

Beware! Bittorrent is loaded with malware!
You really should watch where you download from.

I just downloaded BitTorrent from the author's page, and during installation I get the following message.
Beware of online scams! A number of websites have taken our BitTorrent client and attempt to charge money for it though some sort of "fee" or "subscription" or else they install it for free but infect your computer with malicious code in the process. To protect yourself, be sure to only download our software from http:www.bittorrent.com. You should NEVER under any circumstances pay for free BitTorrent software.
There were offers bundled in the installer package but nothing called Conduit. And all of them offered an option to opt-out. A quick scan with MSSE and Malwarebytes showed no signs of infection before or after install. No signs of Conduit in Programs and Features either.

BTW:
My torrent app of choice has always been uTurrent. I knew you were blowing smoke is the only reason I installed BitTorrent. I can't stand a negative review from someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. BitTorrent is not at fault! Check your location next time you decide to download an application.

I use uTorrent for couple of years now, no cunduit s*** problem. just do ADVANCED installation next time, ok??

I use uTorrent for couple of years now, no cunduit s*** problem. just do ADVANCED installation next time, ok??
uTorrent and BitTorrent are two different applications. Neither of which have Mal-ware, if downloaded from the authors pages. And for the record, TechSpot is a good host for downloads.

uTorrent and BitTorrent are two different applications. Neither of which have Mal-ware, if downloaded from the authors pages. And for the record, TechSpot is a good host for downloads.
BitTorrent and uTorrent (both owned by BitTorrent) have been the same program for a while now just color and name changes.

BitTorrent and uTorrent (both owned by BitTorrent) have been the same program for a while now just color and name changes.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the actual application was the same. I guess they feared loosing user base if they completely merged the two into one. They are shared as if they are two different applications, with their own web pages. I'm not sure what the differences are but the installer packages are different sizes.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the actual application was the same. I guess they feared loosing user base if they completely merged the two into one. They are shared as if they are two different applications, with their own web pages. I'm not sure what the differences are but the installer packages are different sizes.
They didn't really merge them they just used acquired uTorrent changed the name to BitTorrent and released it. Unless something changed there really isn't much difference between them they just market them like different apps to keep fanbase I think.

Back