TechSpot

BitTorrent set to monetize content Bundles with hybrid crowdfunding system

By Justin Kahn
Jul 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. With a mix between the concepts Netflix and Kickstarter made popular, BitTorrent will be entering into the original content space in a unique way. Coming this fall, the company will be introducing the pilot episode of its very first original...

Read more

2. Alexs201

Alexs201 TS Rookie

Beware! Bittorrent is loaded with malware! It is install automatic without any warning or optional settings. It is called Conduit and is difficult to remove. Luckily, I found qbittorrent and it is spam free. The more you know.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,549   +2,894

You really should watch where you download from.

I just downloaded BitTorrent from the author's page, and during installation I get the following message.
    There were offers bundled in the installer package but nothing called Conduit. And all of them offered an option to opt-out. A quick scan with MSSE and Malwarebytes showed no signs of infection before or after install. No signs of Conduit in Programs and Features either.

BTW:
    My torrent app of choice has always been uTurrent. I knew you were blowing smoke is the only reason I installed BitTorrent. I can't stand a negative review from someone that doesn't know what they are talking about. BitTorrent is not at fault! Check your location next time you decide to download an application.

4. I use uTorrent for couple of years now, no cunduit s*** problem. just do ADVANCED installation next time, ok??

5. cliffordcooley

uTorrent and BitTorrent are two different applications. Neither of which have Mal-ware, if downloaded from the authors pages. And for the record, TechSpot is a good host for downloads.

6. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 816   +231

BitTorrent and uTorrent (both owned by BitTorrent) have been the same program for a while now just color and name changes.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. cliffordcooley

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the actual application was the same. I guess they feared loosing user base if they completely merged the two into one. They are shared as if they are two different applications, with their own web pages. I'm not sure what the differences are but the installer packages are different sizes.

8. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 816   +231

They didn't really merge them they just used acquired uTorrent changed the name to BitTorrent and released it. Unless something changed there really isn't much difference between them they just market them like different apps to keep fanbase I think.