TechSpot

Bizarre Linksys Issues

By mishmumkin
Mar 22, 2008
  1. We have three machines in our house, and the two laptops work off the wireless w/o issue. I had forgotten the network key, so when I had to add a new laptop to the wireless router I reset the router. Something happened at that point that screwed up my PC. It never stays on the wireless network long. Well, let me rephrase that, perhaps it's that it's jumping off the internet almost every 3-5 minutes. When I open the wireless connections, sometimes it says beside my router is "Disconnected" but when I highlight the router name it says "disconnect." At this point, if I click "disconnect" I get a canned warning.
    It does not consistently do this. Some days it says it says it's disconnected from my router, and when I click the button (which now says "connect" and not "disconnect") it will go into this perpetual state of checking the IP address.

What does get my instantly connected is clicking on my router name and re-entering the network key. This instantly connects me to the internet (though sometimes it seems that I'm still searching the IP address while I'm am clearly connected to the internet.

I wonder if I have a few different problems here. Any ideas?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What operating systems are on these 3 computers

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,333   +622

If you reset the router and created a new key (WPA or WEP?), then
    I would go to all wireless system and
    delete the existing connection
    use the wireless wizard to create a new one​
    btw: you did change the default login password didn't you?
    Also do not allow remote router administration!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.