Black monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I purchased a Dell XPS notebook Aug 2005. I am having problems with my screen. When I boot up the black background behind Dell displays vertical rows of blue dots all the way across screen. Then when it show the Window's screen booting up, it displays vertical rows of green dots. Right before the Wiindow screen changes, it show all different colors then entire screen is black. I can hear it in the background so it is booting up. I called Dell (hard to get service on a Sunday) and one person says I need the LCD replaced. Yesterday one said the motherboard. I'm a little confused because I am running in safe mode right now and the screen works fine. Has anyone had this occur. I'd like to figure out before they come out and replace my screen and that's not the problem. I'm looking at about $700 to have them come to my office!!! Also, why are their parts going out so soon??? My laptop has sat on my desk for 2 years!

Here are my specs:
Inspiron XPS-Gen2, Pentium M 770, 17", I GB, DDR2,533MHz 2 Dimm, 256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Ultra, 80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Thanks in advance,
MonaE

If the display is corrupt before booting into WIndows, then it has nothing to do with any drivers. A bad video controller or memory and the only cure is motherboard replacement.

You don't sound like someone able to replace the LCD or motherboard anyway, so you should just take the machine to a (Dell) repair shop and let them figure out what is broken and what to replace.

Ask for a price estimate first. It may be cheaper to get a new laptop :)

I've bought a Toshiba, HP and my most current notebook is a xps m1710. This is by far the best notebook I've owned. Its well put together. Although my Toshiba is garbage now and the hp works just fine to be 5 years old.

hi ,
I dont think its the graphics controller, almost all the XPS notebooks have a output port to which you can connect an external monitor. Try to connect a monitor to the video out and if the monitor has good video , its the LCD that needs replacement . The XPS series system is no cheap hardware, I am sure that you know that.
Incase the second monitor gives bad video as well , try lowering the hardwarre acceslaration of the video card, this can be done thru display properties

Hello,

The sourced out Dell person called today to make an appointment. I told him I can view everything fine in safe mode. He said it is not a LCD problem then. I cancelled. I called Dell and after many hours of testing they said I need my video card replaced. They said it would cost $599 (not including installation)! After pulling teeth to get them to tell me the model, they said it is the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7800 Ultra. Okay, fine since my current one is 256MB NVIDIA GeForce GO 6800 Ultra.

So now my questions are:

1) Are they overpricing it? I went to http://www.GeForce.com and saw the most expensive 7800 is $214.99. Am I reading this correctly?

2) Can I purchase myself and hire someone else to install? (I don't have extended warranty with Dell).

3) Shouldn't my current 256MB NVIDIA GeForce GO 6800 Ultra have a longer life span? I purchased 8/28/05. My laptop has sat on my desk for two years, no jiggling around. Won't the manufacture or Dell honor their products?

Any advice on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
MonaE

hi
the ones for the notebook are smaller. The 7800 for the desktop is around 200 dollars, you will need a notebook veideo card and a cooling module that fits with the card.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insXPSG2/en/sm/video.htm#wp1006368

check this link , it shows how to install the card and the cooling module ,

The card that you are ordering is a gaming card 256 MB 78000 . I am running a 64 MB Nvidia 5 series card, and it works welll, of course I dont play games on this .
YOu can get a less powerfull card, the install you can take to a local technician instead of dell . there are lot of people who know dell notebooks well. Check the pricis for the mobility ultra series cards.
Dont buy something that you cant fit into the notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back