Black Ops 3 launched and was 'unplayable' on PC, 'troubled' on PS4

dkpope

Staff

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 launched on Friday and some people are having issues actually being able to play it. A few people wrote about the PC issues. Others wrote about the PS4 issues. A ton of people complained (as well as shared possible fixes) in Black Ops 3’s official forums and on the Steam Community forums. The lucky ones who were playing along in undisturbed bliss, understandably, weren't writing much at all.

Let’s break down the complaints and issues.

On PC there are two main problems. The first was that the game “stutters” and slows down in scenes that aren’t even high-action. The other problem was a memory leak – this was a bigger deal because it impacted a lot of users. According to Treyarch, the game's developer, the problem mostly hit people "on some CPUs" including Intel i5 processors. The memory leak causes the framerate to slow drastically and after 4-5 minutes the game becomes completely unplayable.

Treyarch says users experiencing this problem should set the FPS Cap just under the refresh rate. “If you have a 60hz monitor, you can try enabling Vsync and setting your FPS Cap to 58.” They've since released a patch to fix the issue, but it only worked for some users.

Meanwhile PS4 users were experiencing issues as well but those seem to be alleviated by now. The PS4 server is currently listed as Good, which means “All services are online, however, users in some regions are reporting intermittent connectivity issues. We are monitoring the situation closely.”

As we all know, game launches often come with problems. So just cross your fingers and hope all the Black Ops 3 bumps get completely ironed out sooner rather than later.

Permalink to story.

"as we didn't realize that there were users with i5 processors AND 60hz monitors that enjoyed gaming, we failed to test that setup.."
The Good news is that if you have 16GB RAM, you can play for nearly TEN minutes at a go..

Yeah the first 12 hours the game stuttered a bit in certain areas on a map. They released a patch that fixed everything. BO3 has a lot players playing online compared to other Call of Duty launches on PC.

Playing on Xbox One. Servers are buggy as hell. Rolling with friends only makes it worse - you get disconnected from CoD servers every 4-6 games from what I've experienced. Trying to bring parties in and out of gametypes constantly leaves someone behind. Updating with day one patch needed 30 minutes to complete even though it was roughly 100MB. There's a lot of crap out of the gate - something that is appalling since Treyarch had the exact same thing happen during Black Ops 2 on the Xbox 360. Activision games are really falling apart at launch these days - wonder if anyone will wise up and start petitioning them.

I've heard the beta on PC was actually more stable, anyone able to confirm that at all? I know it was only multiplayer (from what I gathered..), but how does a game on PC go from stable to just pile of garbage between beta -> release?

Did they decide to swap the code, and give us the beta code on launch and vice versa? :p

I have yet to have any issues with this game. I don't know what all of the complaining is about. I'm sure someone will just say "Well then your lucky". I don't think luck has anything to do with it.

Game has played great with the exception of the memory leak. I do have an i5 and the monitor set at 144hz.

I'm currently playing the Directors Cut of Wasteland 2 and it also had a memory leak. Within a day of confirming it they had released a workaround on the forums (disable Shadows). I was well impressed at their speed of dealing with it. I wonder how long it will take to find a solution for Black Ops which presumably has a lot more people and money behind it.

Is this norm now? Overhyped games that are buggy as hell upon release that require a ginormous day one patch?

What has become of games these days?

Back