Black-out.. Again!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyxoz

Hello everyone.
I've asked before, and I've done one thing about it, which didn't seem to fix my problem.

Pentium 4 Northwood 3,2GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
Kingston ValueRam PC3200 (2x512)

It happens irregularly - the screen goes black and shows "no signal" and the sound stops playing. I have to turn the power off and on again to even make it work, as it doesn't reboot itself.
What one of the possibilities could be, was a faulty PSU, which I eliminated by buying an Antec 500W PSU, which is just an overkill for my machine.

Ok, so I went playing. I played for almost a week (my screen usually would have went black already after that long) and thought: "Hey, no blackout after a week!? My problem must be fixed!" and I was all happy. But what happened just today? I think you can tell.

Before the PSU-switch my CPU-temperature maxed at 65 celcius degrees, and now it maxes at 63.
But as I mentioned above, I could run a lot longer with the new PSU, than I could with the old one. I have no idea why it is like that, but my only thought is the small temperature change.

Now I'm just wondering.. Is the CPU-temperature the problem now, or is it a completely different thing?
I would greatly appreciate help, as I'm so sick of this problem, and I don't have money to buy a whole new computer.

Thanks in advance.

It could be temperature related, video card or cpu. Can you take the side of the case off and blow a regular house fan on it?

Also check the Event Viewer for anything strange happening around the time this happens.

I don't have a house fan.
There's nothing strange in the event viewer.

But if it was the graphics card overheating - Wouldn't the sound keep playing?

EDIT: Just a note:
I've been running with an old Geforce MX graphics card, before I switched my PSU, and I never got a blackout with that. Would that lead you to think, that it's the graphics temperature? I've heard they can run under very high temperatures though.

Smore -> Which would mean, I have to replace it? Aw *censor* ^^
Would you suggest a cheap graphics card, that's just as good as Club 3d ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb? Remember it has to be AGP.

I really hope, that this can be fixed in another way, but if it can't, it seems like I have to do it..

Run diagdx on the command line and see if notice any issues/conflicts in the settings. You cannot change anything in this, just a diagnostic software

you can also run winmsd and see if you see any issues/conflicts

All right, I'll test it when I get home.

But if it was the graphics card - Wouldn't the sound continue playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back