TechSpot

Black screen after reboot?

By naike
Sep 9, 2008
  1. Hey.
    I have a problem that just occurred to me.
    I HAVE formatted and reinstalled windows XP Pro.
    So the thing is that whenever a setup makes me reboot (or i reboot manually), it reboots normally but when its booting up (after mobo logos etc) where the windows loading screen should appear, I just get a black screen and i have to reset my pc, and it starts normally again.

Any idewas?

2. gabbo93

gabbo93 TS Rookie Posts: 37

Try running memtest along with other hardware tests like Prime95, if you get no errors from them then go to event viewer and see if any errors are there that relate to your problem and post them, also upload any dump files generated by the error.

3. naike

naike TS Rookie Topic Starter

4. gabbo93

Ok well according to prime95 there is a hardware error, do you have any other problems occuring while running your computer eg: lags, freezing, slower then usual, bsods etc.

5. naike

Nothing except that my music "bugs" when im listening to it sometimes, it like stops for a millisecond and then continues, its very annoying.

6. gabbo93

Have you cleaned out all of the dust inside your computer, made sure the heatsink of your cpu is on properly and checked to see if the ram needs cleaning?

7. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Remove your Ram sticks, clean the copper fingers with an eraser and reinstall, ensuring they are seated properly. Reboot. If that doesn't help, reboot enter BIOS and increase your Vdimm (Ram voltage) by 1 increment.

8. naike

Thanks for your effort and help, i fixed the problem (acutually you),
    I removed my dimms and insterted them back, that seemed to fix it, now it works, thanks guys for the fast help!

9. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Cheers. Tell your friends about Techspot.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.