Black Screen After Windows Boot Screen, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Been looking around for answers or advice, but haven't found anything to point me in the right direction. Something is wrong but i don't know if it's a hardware or software problem. Maybe you guys can help me resolve this problem....
Thx!

The machine was working fine, left it on during the night and when i woke up the screen was black. Since then, every time i boot the computer, the screen goes black after the windows boot screen (gets a black signal). But Safe Mode boots without any trouble.

Things tried:
1. Restoring from previous save point (1 week ago)
2. Uninstalling video drivers
3. Disconnecting unnecessary hardware

So far, nothing has worked. Help!

Specs:
Self-built XP machine, approx 2 yr old.
Asus p5w
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 4 gig RAM.
NVidia GeForce 7950 GT
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4
2x Seagate 320g in Raid 0 config

In safe mode (the only mode that you can see anything)
Set the Disply (in control Panel) for low color, and refresh rate.

It sounds like a driver issue, (although you have tried this)
Or the monitor can't see true color.

You can also go to MSconfig (from Start-->Run) and try diagnostic mode, just in case someting starting is affecting this.
You will need to turn off diagnostic mode, once the startup problem is found

Please reply back if you got into normal mode.

Same problem black screen after windos xp boot up

It appears sometime after Feb 15 my system set on automatic windows update loaded a video driver that made the system go to black screen after full boot up and all I see is the cursor. I can see color Dell image and windows XP image while booting up but then all I get is black screen and the cursor. I have booted up in safe mode and still can not see the start bar or anything else in safe mode either. I have click where the start bar should be with no help. I was told to roll back the video driver but can not see anything to get to the roll back video driver. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a Dell Dimension 8200 bought about 3-4 years ago.

Black Screen

I have used f8 vga mode with no help and reseated the card several times. how do I do a windos xp repair? I have the disk.

Thx for the fast replys!

The lowest i can set my display settings to are 16bit, and i can't find the refresh rate settings.

I tried diagnostic mode, but same thing there... black after xp loading screen.

My theory is that either my graphics card or my monitor has suffered from some hardware malfunction. Would that be possible with the problems i'm facing? I've had 2 "half dead" pixels for a while, 1 green and 1 red. that would turn red/green when presented with certain colors or while watching video. And in some cases i would have a larger green square blinking while watching a movie (like a compression artifact), usually in the same area. Also on some websites while scrolling, the 2 "dead" pixels would create a row of "dead" pixels while scrolling....

Now when i boot in safe mode i have colored spots scattered all over the screen...??

Any help?

P.S.

I'm living abroad for the moment, so i didn't bring my xp disk.

And i don't have the VGA mode option while booting.

Just hooked up my 360 trough VGA, and everything looks like it should, no dead pixels.

To bad i don't have a spare graphics card to try...

one real quick question..

Do you have any USB devices (eg Thumb drives), floppy disks or CD/DVDs in your computer?
If so, take them out, your computer will boot up normal.. Always happens to me, as Windows first tries to boot off CD, and if No cd, then it will try usb device and floppy disk.. If none are in, THEN it will launch off your hard drive..

Nope, no usb drives or cd:s are in the computer.
Does anyone know if a computer would act this way if the graphics card spontaneously fried in the middle of the night? Wanna know if it's highly likely that this might be the case, before wasting money on a new graphics card...

Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back