Black screen, flashing underscore, can't boot Linux Live CD = dead Mobo?

By PotatoYam
Jun 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone,

So a while back I dropped my computer while cleaning it, and who knows, maybe I even shocked it with static. Ever since then, I get a black screen with a flashing underscore on the top left when I boot up the computer. This screen comes after the option to go to BIOS goes away, so I still have BIOS access. All my hardware is properly detected, and everything seems jolly good. Except it's not.

I have the Linux Live CD, so I thought I would go try that. It didn't work; I made sure that the first boot is the DVD drive, but no-go: after restarting the computer, the drive flashes a bit, then stops, then black screen.

BUT!!! Yesterday, I fiddled around with the connections of the hard drive, the dvd-rom, and the power supply (as in unplug-replug). Much to my surprise, the system booted up fine, with my Windows XP and all the right files. I promptly continue to work on the computer for another few hours, restarting several times with no problems. Then, on the fourth restart, same black screen, same underscore. I retried the unplug-replug, and nothing works.

So, dead motherboard? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.