Black Screen installing new Videocard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordongates

Hello Everyone! This is my first post, but I wish it was under better circumstances.

I have an HP M7350N computer that came with an NVidia GeForce 6200SE Turbocache video card. I recently purchased a PNY GeForce 7300 GT Video Card and tried to install it. It was tricky to figure out the little clip on the back, but I managed to get the old card out and the new card in. After starting the computer, I got graphics on the screen in a low resolution and XP installed what the installation booklet called the "Standard Graphics Driver." In the middle of this process, I got called out of the room. When I got back, I was expecting a "restart" menu. Instead, the screen was black. I tried to
tighten connections, etc., but the monitor seemed dead. Eventually I put the
old card back in and everything worked. Thank God!

According to the little installation book, after restarting I was to put in
the installation CD, uninstall the old driver through the CD's wizard, and
install the new driver. Why did everything go black? Now I'm afraid to
re-install the card. Should I take it back, or is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks for your help, Gordon

Try uninstalling the old video cards drivers, then shut down and install the new card... and it's drivers

Noobie Scared

What if I uninstall the old driver and the same thing happens. Will the old card still work then? I'll be blind. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for your help.

u're old card should work without a driver as the new card should have, windows has a simple drivers it uses when anyone is installing a new card or when u install windows.

Yes, nickc is correct... Your old card should display with or without the "correct" drivers. Your new card may be bad, but still remove the old card's drivers to make sure. You won't go blind putting back in the old card

Power Supply

My computer comes with a 250 watt power supply. The card manufacturers recommend a minimum 300 watt power supply. I've already added a 250 gig hard drive. Maybe I should upgrade the power supply first...

What do you think?

I think if your new video card requires an extra power connector to the card from the PSU then you might consider a new PSU. If it doesn't then you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

O.K. The card has no additional connectors. I will try tomorro. Thanks for your support, everybody. I'll let you know how it goes...

Resolved

Thanks for handholding a noobie, guys. After taking out the old video driver the new driver installation went without a hitch.

I'm soon getting an HDMI cable that will run to my big screen t.v. The next step will be to run the t.v. off the computer, but that's another post.

Thanks again!

gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back