TechSpot

Black screen of death - no boot

By rbenson
Oct 8, 2008
  1. Hi--

I am extremely frustrated. I have a Dell Latitude running XP Professional and am having a recurrent problem. If I leave the computer on and it goes into standby or hibernation mode, sometimes it will not boot up afterward. I get a black screen and a flashing cursor in the left up-hand corner. My IT have not been able to figure it out and doubt what I tell them (regarding the events prior to this happening). The only way they can "fix" the system is to reinstall Windows. I know there must be a hardware problem or software incompatibility (with Windows XP), but I want to get to the bottom of this once and for all. My IT people are ready to ground me.
    I should add that I all was well until I got a bad virus/spyware, they had to reinstall then. Then they found that my HD was failing so replaced it. They checked the hardware and everything checks out.

Can someone please help?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Please run Memtest for at least 7 passes (~4Hrs) for a thorough test of your Ram

Also confirm all your Dell Drivers are up to date

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.