Black screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone. I have a problem with my pc unfortunately im not good enough to fix it and i would need a lot of help.

My pc shows me the black screen of death as soon as i go online. usually within 5 minutes of me going online. I would need to manually reset it to turn it back on since it lokos to be in standby mode

It doesnt happen as long as im not online though.

I can usually prolong it by changing the firewall settings of my Pccillin to Maximum but it still goes black after 15 minutes.

I dont have all the specs of my PC but the ones i have are:

1Gb of Ram
Inno3D Geforce 8500GT 512mb DDR2
Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 (1.86Ghz) LGA775
Windows XP

I know this isnt much but if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be great!

If there are other information that you guys would need then please just reply to this and i will try to get it.

I ran the antivirus and it shows that pccillin is infected. I have reformatted and reinstalled everything. i even tried to run it without any security software and it still gives me the black screen of death as soon as i go online.

what should i do?????

If you've reinstalled Windows and you're absolutely 100% positive there are no infections, I would guess that perhaps your NIC is failing.

Perhaps try another set of drivers, if that doesn't work, disable it and install another one to see what happens.

You might also want to be sure that all of the programs you use are up to date, as well as all of your drivers and also run Windows Update.

when you say online, do you mean when your network is enabled? or when you are actively browsing/downloading/chatting?

when the network is enabled. if i choose to halt the internet traffic by choosing that option in pccillin or turning the dsl modem off or just unplugging the rj-45 then it doesnt give me the black screen of death.

I'm going to swap out the PSU and/or the NIC just to test if its a hardware failure on those two.

i had a similar problem with my desktop (still have it actually), sounds like driver problems to me, i'd say try to get the last 3 revisions of the drivers, at least 1 from the manufacturer, and at least 1 from whoever made the chipset if its an onboard NIC. if that doesnt fix it then the card is bad.

alisbin said:
i had a similar problem with my desktop (still have it actually), sounds like driver problems to me, i'd say try to get the last 3 revisions of the drivers, at least 1 from the manufacturer, and at least 1 from whoever made the chipset if its an onboard NIC. if that doesnt fix it then the card is bad.

Thanks for the help with this. It was the PSU thats the problem... Its now working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back