Black screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmodeus47

Yes, thats a black screen, not blue

My problem is that my friend's computer will not load any type of OS. The computer has worked flawlessly for weeks. Then it just stopped. POST reports no errors. I can watch all of the boot procedure until the OS loading is going to happen. (RAM check, IDE check, RAID load, etc) I cannot even get the box to load Windows Startup from the CD...

I have checked the BIOS
I have swapped out the video card with another that works (the one I'm using right now)
I pulled all un-needed hardware's power cable to check for power issues
All fans are working
I can't get into Safe mode w/ F8, so it's not a screen resolution issue

Hardware Rundown:
AMD64x2 5400
ATI Radeon x1600Pro w/ aftermarket cooling added on to it.
Elitegroup KA3 MVP motherboard

Anyone have an idea?

Yes I do, but I doubt that is the issue, since I cannot get the WindowsXP disc to appear on the screen. I get to that part where it says "Press and key to boot from CD..." and I hit the ole any key and thats it. I cant view anything else.

I think the next thing i would be thinking about is the Motherboard, is it possible for you to perform a home test ?

I'm thinking it's the MoBo too. I just dont want ot have to buy a new, since they are $100... I was hoping someone might know of a BIOS switch or something that prevents the PCIe port from handling anything after/above initial post and boot screens. I know the port and video card are good, since I can watch initial post and ram check and stuff, it's just any type of boot strap seems to cause the video card to only send a black screen. I know it is sending something, since the monitor (which is also good) reports it is getting a feed. (no orange light next to the power button)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back