Black screen on boot after boot.ini edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lukasz

Hey everyone!!!

I have gotten myself into quite a mess, and i was hoping i could find help here!

I had two OS choices in the boot menu, but only one worked.
So i decided trying to edit the boot.ini file after reading som tips on it!
I changed the line that was needed and restarted the computer.
Now where the OS choices should be, i only get a black screen!
So i read around looking for help, and saw that the recovery console could be my saviour! But no such luck! When trying to accees the repair menu (using a win Xp cd) it says that no harddisk could be found!
For some reason my floppy drive isn't working, so a boot diskete cant be made! but a friend is letting me borrow a floppy drive in a couple of days, so i hope i can use a boot disk.... But if not, you guys are my last chance!!

Best regards... Luke.

lukasz said:
Hey everyone!!!

I have gotten myself into quite a mess, and i was hoping i could find help here!

I had two OS choices in the boot menu, but only one worked.
So i decided trying to edit the boot.ini file after reading som tips on it!
I changed the line that was needed and restarted the computer.
Now where the OS choices should be, i only get a black screen!
So i read around looking for help, and saw that the recovery console could be my saviour! But no such luck! When trying to accees the repair menu (using a win Xp cd) it says that no harddisk could be found!
For some reason my floppy drive isn't working, so a boot diskete cant be made! but a friend is letting me borrow a floppy drive in a couple of days, so i hope i can use a boot disk.... But if not, you guys are my last chance!!

Best regards... Luke.

Sounds like you have damaged the drive, Go into BIOS and see if the drive is detected, if not then it is to damaged and all your data is gone

If the BIOS shows the drive then boot from the XP cd and go to where you would choose which partition to install to and see if anything shows, if not then your disk is damaged and all your data is gone.

If you can see your partition then try an over the top install of XP, you wont lose data but you may have to install some programs.

Either way never alter any system file unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Thanks for det reply..

But regarding checking the bios detecting the drive -
I have had the computer for a while, and it has never shown my harddrive in the bios or on startup! it just showed my Cd-rom drive, and dvd-drive.
but non the less it would still work..
I tried both your suggestions, but both came up negative..
I just dont understand how the whole drive can be damaged after altering a line in the boot.ini file?? :dead:
What options do i have left at this time?

By the way : I have a Maxtor diamondmax plus 9 80gb Sata/150 HDD.

lukasz said:
Thanks for det reply..

But regarding checking the bios detecting the drive -
I have had the computer for a while, and it has never shown my harddrive in the bios or on startup! it just showed my Cd-rom drive, and dvd-drive.
but non the less it would still work..
I tried both your suggestions, but both came up negative..
I just dont understand how the whole drive can be damaged after altering a line in the boot.ini file?? :dead:
What options do i have left at this time?

By the way : I have a Maxtor diamondmax plus 9 80gb Sata/150 HDD.

pray :angel: then hit it a few times... :knock:

hehe..

hmm.. some mobos will do that for sata drives.. try and obtain a bios update and flash it in..
if you're gonna use windows repair, download maxtor's sata drivers and press the Fsomething key while windows cd is booting (it will say something among the lines of "if you need to install third party or RAID/SATA drivers please press..."

search on the thread on how to repair windows from recovery console (sorry forgot the link)

you could have gone to run>msconfig>boot.ini and went to "check all paths" thing to get rid off your other OS entry.......

Hey!

Thanks, but i solved the problem!
I connected my harddisk to a friends pc, and thankfully it found the drive!
I edited the boot.ini file back to previous state, and it worked!

But thanks for the help anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back