Black Screen on Boot up

By ilovetacos
Mar 24, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I start my computer up (info upon request), my monitor stays in the power save mode (or whatever its called) until the account sign-in screen appears, then it works normally. I can't get to BIOS at all, and I don't think my keyboard works until the account sign-in screen either.

I didn't know which section to put this in, so if it needs to be moved just say so.

thx
  2. Char_X

Char_X Newcomer, in training Posts: 209

Try this:

Got Start>>Run...then type msconfig
    Then on the boot.ini tab where it says boot options, untick /noguiboot.

That should fix it.
  3. ilovetacos

ilovetacos Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

it's already unticked
  4. ilovetacos

Sorry for the bump, but I need help, don't make me call the Geek Squad :p
  5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,732   +156

Hello... Geek Squad ;)
  6. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Newcomer, in training Posts: 61

As soon as the pc boots up hit f8 repeatedly until you get to a text menu with options. Choose "Safe Mode". Once booted into safe mode change your graphics settings to the correct values and shutodwn properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314503
  7. ilovetacos

Unfortunately, the f8 thing didn't work, although when I pressed F8, the screen stayed black so long that I just turned the comp off out of impatience, so I think the menu came up but i couldn't see it.

The link looks like it will, but it involves a bunch of work.... so i think I'll wait till the weekend and spend a few hours on what the links says.

thx
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.