TechSpot

Black Screen on Boot up

By ilovetacos
Mar 24, 2007
  1. When I start my computer up (info upon request), my monitor stays in the power save mode (or whatever its called) until the account sign-in screen appears, then it works normally. I can't get to BIOS at all, and I don't think my keyboard works until the account sign-in screen either.

I didn't know which section to put this in, so if it needs to be moved just say so.

thx

2. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 170

Try this:

Got Start>>Run...then type msconfig
    Then on the boot.ini tab where it says boot options, untick /noguiboot.

That should fix it.

3. ilovetacos

ilovetacos TS Rookie Topic Starter

it's already unticked

4. ilovetacos

Sorry for the bump, but I need help, don't make me call the Geek Squad :p

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,222   +231

Hello... Geek Squad ;)

6. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr TS Rookie Posts: 61

As soon as the pc boots up hit f8 repeatedly until you get to a text menu with options. Choose "Safe Mode". Once booted into safe mode change your graphics settings to the correct values and shutodwn properly.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314503

7. ilovetacos

Unfortunately, the f8 thing didn't work, although when I pressed F8, the screen stayed black so long that I just turned the comp off out of impatience, so I think the menu came up but i couldn't see it.

The link looks like it will, but it involves a bunch of work.... so i think I'll wait till the weekend and spend a few hours on what the links says.

thx

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.