TechSpot

Black screen when entering Windows XP logon-screen

By rexerinne
Oct 17, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My compuper starts up as normal. It boots and shows the Windows XP-logo when loading. The problem occurs when I get to the screen where I can (or in my case could) log on with different users.

The screen gets black instead of giving me the logon-screen. But I can move the white mouse pointer around the black screen. If I leave the computer for a while (about 3-5 minutes) it shows a error message which is something like this: "winlogon.exe - application error" and it mentions something about "referenced memory" "Press OK to terminate or cancel to debug".
    I can press OK or cancel, but neither helps me.

I installed Windows XP SP2 a week ago. Could that be the reason leading to my problems?

Yesterday I tried to upgrade my Windows-installation with a XP SP 2 installation CD. This helped me as i then could enter Windows as normal. Everything appeared as before. But when I started my computer today the same black screen appeared.

Anyone got some tricks or solutions to this problem?
  2. meatologist

meatologist TS Rookie Posts: 152

3. rexerinne

rexerinne TS Rookie Topic Starter

The same problem occurs in safe mode. I can only access my machine via the "safe-mode with command prompt". It was from here I repaired/upgraded my Windows-installation
  4. meatologist

meatologist TS Rookie Posts: 152

why dont you run a repair / upgrade AGAIN... this time -- when you boot into Windows OK - scan your machine for viruses / spyware etc

as per here: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/winlogon.exe.html

if all else fails - then you will have to bite the bullet and reinstall Windows in it's entirety!
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

got anything connected to your usb port?
    if very new like that and not much intalled reformat start over
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.