Black screen when entering Windows XP logon-screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
My compuper starts up as normal. It boots and shows the Windows XP-logo when loading. The problem occurs when I get to the screen where I can (or in my case could) log on with different users.

The screen gets black instead of giving me the logon-screen. But I can move the white mouse pointer around the black screen. If I leave the computer for a while (about 3-5 minutes) it shows a error message which is something like this: "winlogon.exe - application error" and it mentions something about "referenced memory" "Press OK to terminate or cancel to debug".
I can press OK or cancel, but neither helps me.

I installed Windows XP SP2 a week ago. Could that be the reason leading to my problems?

Yesterday I tried to upgrade my Windows-installation with a XP SP 2 installation CD. This helped me as i then could enter Windows as normal. Everything appeared as before. But when I started my computer today the same black screen appeared.

Anyone got some tricks or solutions to this problem?

The same problem occurs in safe mode. I can only access my machine via the "safe-mode with command prompt". It was from here I repaired/upgraded my Windows-installation

got anything connected to your usb port?
if very new like that and not much intalled reformat start over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back