BLACK SCREEN + white cursor

By waffleofwisdom
Feb 5, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've looked and cant seem to find the problem:

three things happened:
    I installed 1 GB of ram on topf my old one. and it worked amazingly last night
    windows asked for an update, which I did, but went to bed

got to pc, and it was black, restarted, didnt work, went to safe mode, it worked, did system restore, now doesnt work. I think im missing drivers

and it did a "registry check" and said it was complete after that it stopped working
  2. allmightypuff

allmightypuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

never ever ever ever use system restore. do u have a windows disk?
  3. waffleofwisdom

waffleofwisdom Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

hmm

Wow I didnt know that, why not use it??? it saved my pc before, also I MIGHT get my friends Vista Recovery disc, but apparently it doesn't come with much,,
  4. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Nothing wrong with using System Restore. Thousands of people do it everyday without problems. When all the hardware is working, Windows Restore is as foolproof as anything else about the troublesome Windows... meaning if anything can go wrong it will, but not necessarily because it was a system restore.
    The combination of the black screen, and the fact that it works in SafeMode is a good indication that either your video graphics card is bad, or needs to be reseated, or that your driver needs to be reinstalled.
  5. waffleofwisdom

waffleofwisdom Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

nono that's the thing though,

Safe mode DOESNT work, nothing works, except for ONE key combination: WIndows button+u displays ease of access for me.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.