Black screen white mouse pointer only, Vista 32-bit

cavell

So about a year ago i got two sticks of ram and i upgraded the amount of ram i had as well as a new video card(geforce 9800) After a couople of months i noticed i started getting blue screen errors so i knew the ram would'nt be fit for each other; i then take a the old ram out and put it back in so there isn't any blue screen errors until a couple of months. Now i did the same exact thing, but now my computer would start up with a black screen and a mouse pointer, it doesn't even get to the login screen. I have a vista 32 bit. I've tried the safe mode booting, it doesn't work... same thing, the screen is all black, ctrl alt delete doesn't work, my mouse can roam freely and my keyboard wouldn't respond unless it's sleep. I've tried doing the unload hive thing in which when i put in the "edit1" it's not able to do so cause it says cannot load error while loading hive. i don't have a vista disk since it didn't come with one... Second i've tried start up repair, that didn't work... help me please!!

I have a hp
would this help?

I got his while doing start up repair

Problem Event name: StartupREpairV2

Problem Signature 01: Manual Repair

Problem Signature 02: 9.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000

Problem Signature 03: 0

Problem Signature 04: 65537

Problem Signature 05:unknown

Problem Signature 06:NoOsInstalled

Problem Signature 07:0

Problem Signature 08:1

Problem Signature 09:Fix Partition Table

Problem Signature 10:1168

Os version 6.0.6000.2.0.0.2561

Local ID 1033

UPDATEE!!!

GOt myself a repair disk, done start up repair again... doesn't work and it comes back with

No OsFiles found on Disk

Repair Action:partitionTableRepair

Result:Failed.Error code=0x490

Time taken=2199ms

AND

While donig start up repair, it said it wasn't able to automaticly repair and here's the before sending in the problem... AND this is with the repair disk that i used/got from the howtogeek.com

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2

Problem SIgnature 01: External Media

Problem SIgnature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000

Problem SIgnature 03:0

Problem SIgnature 04:65537

Problem SIgnature 05:unknown

Problem SIgnature 06: NoOsinstalled

Problem SIgnature 07: 0

Problem SIgnature 08:1

Problem SIgnature 09:FixPartitionTable

Problem SIgnature 10:1168

Os Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.2561

Locale Id:1033

these are posts from another forum sorry, but they weren't able to help me:/

OK, I think the first thing to do run diagnostics on your hard drive, you will need to use another PC to make the disc. I am assuming you can get into your Bios but it appears that your PC is not able to read the boot sector on your hard drive so with a bootable CD inserted it should boot from the CD even with the hard drive set to 1st in the boot order.

Getting your hands on a copy of the same version of Vista that is installed on your system may be crucial to fixing this problem (if it is not a faulty hard drive), or you will have to order Recovery discs from the PC's manufacturer. What is the make and model of the PC.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

From the Western Digital link.

Select your type of drive and then then enter your model number into the search box (4000 AAJS) and you will come to a download selection, get the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for CD (DOS)" Then use the free ISO burner to put it on a CD. Go into the Bios on your PC and set the CD to 1st in the boot order, insert the disk and reboot, follow the prompts to run diagnostics on the drive.

i've ran the diagnostics and there wasn't any problems detected, i did both the quick and extended scan

OK, now try running this anti virus boot disc to see if it is Malware causing the problem.

All the instructions are in the link.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/226386#boot

If that comes up clean then try booting with just one memory stick installed, then swap the sticks if it does not work so you try it with all your RAM sticks. Also try in different slots.

Post back all/any error messages.

soo it came up with some virusess and i deleted them all. I then tried to reboot and it gave me a error of windows/system32/volsnap.sys and it says it's missing, so what should i do? I've tried the safe mode, but it gives me teh same error. i tried going to start up repair and it gave me the message i posted before with the noosinstalled.

At this point you are going to have to use a Vista disc to run an Upgrade repair to replace the missing file, there may be others that are damaged.

You must use a Vista disc that is the same version as the one you have installed and it must also be at the same service pack level or higher.

You must use a Vista disc that is the same version as the one you have installed and it must also be at the same service pack level or higher.

My question is to the original poster and that is, did you install your Windows Vista (32bit) off of a burned copy, maybe a DVD-R? Or is your Windows disk a store bought with an actual Microsoft key that will pass the Microsoft Genuine Advantage checks?

If you bought it or it was a gift and it's a real Windows disk, I might jump in and help. But if it's a burnt copy.......no way!

Good luck.........:suspiciou

My vista 32 bit is a store bought, legit not cracked.... but thing is, i never got the chance to burn the repair disk off of vista before it malfunctioning, and the repair disk that is present right now is burnt off of the howgeek.com website for JUST repair

that's what i meant by noosinstalled, and that's from the startup repair log, when it said it can't be automatically repaired...

You said in your first post:

i don't have a vista disk since it didn't come with one...

But now you say you have got one.

Have you tried to boot from the Vista disc and run the "Start Up Repair" from that, this may allow the PC to boot and then you can run the Upgrade repair which will fix any missing or damaged files.

If you cannot get the PC to boot in this manner then a full clean install would be your best option. This will also wipe out any remaining Malware that could still be in your system.

well i have the cd cause i downloaded the one from howtogeek.com and i wasn't able to burn the cd off of my vista 32 bit, and i did start up repair, and the message that still came up was

Second, i got this windows system volnap.sys thing so what should i exactly do? I can't even get to safe mode as it displays the same message...

I think may be you have misunderstood what I am suggesting.

I understand that the repair disc you downloaded is not working. You have stated that you have a genuine Vista OS disc. I am saying that you should try to use this genuine Vista disc to do a Start up Repair not the disc you downloaded.

Follow this guide to do the Start up Repair, this should then allow you to get the system to boot. If you then still have problems continue to the next guide to do an Upgrade (Repair) Install. You have to get the system to boot up to the desktop before you can run the Upgrade (Repair) Install

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

@mark65: a preinstalled version (OEM) of vista never comes with
original disks but most of the time has a recovery partition.

@ all: at the moment i have the same problem on a laptop.

startup option :
normal boot give's black screen with pointer
Safemode give's black screen with pointer
samemode with commandprompt give's black screen with pointer

and so on

With help of a burned vista bootdisk (so not the OS, realesed by microsoft):

chkdsk /f ---> finds errors and fix them but give's black screen with pointer

rename C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs into
C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logsold give's black screen with pointer.

with regedit checked : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon entery "Shell" it says exlorer.exe wich is correct

after reboot again blackscreen with pointer......

Startup Repair give's the same error as in the first post of this toppic

Factory restore aint a options because of data loss.

I'm a bit stuck on this one.....
hope someone could help me

p.s. sorry for my english my dutch is better:p

GRTZ

Ronaldvdm. The OP has given conflicting remarks concerning his ownership of a Vista disc, I was well aware that most OEM machines to not come with an OS disc. He might have bought one.
Please start your own thread and you will receive the help you require.

Cavell, you can use the built in Startup Repair option from the System Recovery Options Menu. Or, use System Restore to take it back to a time before the problem started.

You can find these options by using F8 to get to the advanced boot menu and then select "Repair Your Computer", answer the prompts and you will get to the System Recovery Options. Select Startup Repair and see if that works. If not use System Restore.

You could also try Command Prompt from the same menu and then type sfc /scannow (include the gap) hit Enter and let it scan the system. You may be asked for the Vista disc so this will not work if you do not have one.

Please clear up the confusion, do you have a Genuine Microsoft Vista disc or not?

Hello, sorry for the late response but no, i don't have a microsoft genuine disk, if you mean the original disks that can be used, no. The only thing i do have is the repair disk i mentioned before that i downloaded of the howtogeek.com website which only has repair options, nothing else. I've tried system restore but apparently, there were not any restore points available, and yeah i do not know what to do:/
Second, how would i do the upgrade install when i can't even get to desktop? :/
and lastly, i received an error of windows/volsnapy.sys after deleting some files from the AVG rescue disk scan.

OK, try the Startup Repair from the System Recovery Options as detailed in my last post, this may be better than using the Repair disc you have.

Also try sfc /scannow which should replace the missing file, but without the Vista disc it may not work.

If these options don't work you will have to use the Recovery option from that menu which will loose all your data or get yourself a Vista disc to run an Upgrade install which will save all your data and software.

One possibility to save your data is to remove the hard drive and hook it up to another desktop PC with a USB adapter or connect it internally.

ever since this errror, i am not able to get to the option repair your computer without the installation disk.
\windows\system32\drivers\volsnap.sys
info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corupt.

OK, boot from the rescue disc and go to the command prompt.

Type the following two commands and hit Enter after each one. Type exactly as written with the gap before the /.

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

All being well this should allow the PC to boot, remove the disc first. If that does not work try this command:

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

none of these methods work....

This does not tell me much.

OK, can you get into the Advanced Boot Options menu by hitting F8 at startup. This is where you would find the option for Safe Boot. In that menu there may be an option to do a system Recovery. Most computers supplied without the OS disc will have a Recovery partition that has a copy of the original factory installation. If you can use this it will take your PC back to the state it was in when you bought it, but it will wipe off everything on your hard drive.

The only other option is to buy or borrow a copy of Vista to do an Upgrade Repair which will save all your files.

If you need to save any files from the hard drive you will have to remove it and hook it up to another PC, either using the internal connections of a desktop PC or with a USB adapter on a laptop. If you do this make sure you do more Malware scans before copying any files to make sure you do not spread the infections to another PC.

i can't do system recover because there hasn't been a saved point on my computer . I try doing the safe boot too, it also came back with windows.sysnap or something.... what should i do?

i can't do system recover because there hasn't been a saved point on my computer

I believe you are referring here, to System Restore, I was asking you to look for an Entry in the Advanced Boot Menu for System Recovery, is it there or not?

There should also be an entry in that menu for Last Known Good Configuration, try that.

If this still gets you nowhere try following this microsoft guide http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 to completely rebuild the boot sector. Where it gives a list of several command lines make sure you type them accuratley and leave gaps where shown. You must hit the Enter key after typing each line.

If this still fails then you will have to get a Vista disc to do a full repair installation or a clean install, there is nothing else I know of that will fix this problem. My suspicion is that the hard drive still has Malware on it, some infections can be near impossible to locate. The only fix is a clean installation which will wipe over everything on the hard drive.

Back