Black screens, BSOD, and minidumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo

Hi,

I leave my XP open 24/7.
Sometimes when I check up on the computer and see it is stuck in a black screen and stops responding. When I reboot it I get the message the windoes has enountered a serious error, but the system doesn't reboot.

After checking the eventlog and googling a bit I changed the settings to create minidump files, and ran memtest86 to make sure the RAM is fine.

Can someone please help me decipher the files (attached)?

I am using a XP SP2, 64 bit AMD processor, Abit MB, dual channel memory (ddr 400).

Thanx in advance,

Gonzo the furry freak

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
  • debuglog.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 5
Hi,

The culprit is faulty memory. You can run memtest to stress the ram. If memtest reports the ram is faulty, ram is bad. However Memtest is not a perfect tool to test the memory as some faulty ram can pass memtest.

Suggestion
1. Check the temperature of the CPU and make sure that it is not overheat (ie temperature < 60C)
2. Reseat the memory stick to another memory slot
3. Downclock the ram
4. Clean the dust inside the computer case
5. Make sure that the ram is compatible to the motherboard
If it still crashes, diagnostic which memory stick is faulty
1. Take out one memory stick. If windows does not crash, the removed memory stick is faulty.
2. If you have only one memory stick, replace the ram

if CP..'s advice does not help ,try this.
Go to your Registry editor in Xp ; HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer Create a New DWORD value "AlwaysUnloadDll" (No quotes) Then give this a Value of '1'
I also run my machines 24/7 and lazy DLL's can somtimes destabilize the system.
It won't hurt your machne ,you can always change the value to ' 0 ' if you get no change in the Machine or an issue you don't like , and it will be cheaper than new Ram.

Hi gonzo,

Do you have any update of your problem? After further investigation, the running process of two of the crashes are eMule. Can you think that if you don't use eMule and your windows is more stable?

progress report.

Actually it turns out that eMule is not the problem.
I ran the computer using Linux (the ultimate OS ever), and it crashed!

memtest86 worked perfectly on the memory sticks - ruled out

Googling around I found many people with an AMD 64Bit chip that got freezes in their computer. Then I got to an article about an AMD 64 bit issue called erratum 109 that causes freezes in the system - something that I have had as well (turns out the black screens were just a freeze during screen saver).

I updated the BIOS hoping to solve the problem (the article said AMD issued a patch for the BIOS to overcome this) but the problems still persist.

I have then disconnected the SATA2 HD and the problem was solved. (using Linux - the windows is installed on the SATA2 HD).

Now I'm thinking one of the two:
1) the HD is faulty - very unlikely but I was told faulty HD can cause such stuff.
2) the mobo is crap.

Currently I'm working on getting another SATA2 HD to test out the theory and rule out no. 1.

Any advice you guys may have would be great!

Gonzo

Hi,

Some faulty ram can pass memtest. In my previous post, I recommend to take the ram. Reboot windows as usual and it does not crash, the removed ram is faulty. As you install Linux, it still crashes and you can confirm that the problem is related to hardware. CPU cache memory, cache memory of the m/b and video ram may be the culprit.

Sorry to bump this topic back. but i have the EXACT SAME prob as gonzo.

i was having random blackscreens and BSOD, oncei disconnected SATA2 drive, it works fine on another drive with new OS.

Gonzo: have u fixed this and how..?

it seems gonzo isnt around anymore :( but his latest post seems to be related to this problem with a detailed minidump:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40923

my analysis:

either sata cable bad, bad harddrive, or bad mobo with bad sata controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back