Black & White 2

By DivineMeia
Jan 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, so... I just hopped on the bandwagon of buying Black & White too, and took it home to my much abhored computer... and tried to run it... and it failed.

It said I needed a graphics card which had pixel shading capabilities of 1.1 or something.

Now, I'm definately not computer savvy... in fact, I shouldn't be allowed to mess around with the inner workings of a computer...

But I wanna play! :(

Any suggestions?

I don't know much about my computer specs, but I know my graphics card is an Intel Extreme Graphics 3D or something. It came standard with the stupid computer. By the by, my computer is an EMachines T2792 or something along those lines. Don't laugh, it was a gift. X_x;;

Can anyone help out?
  2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

You will need a standalone graphics card to play it. You have a motherboard-integrated one, which is useless to run any game (except Minesweeper and the like maybe =P). But seriously speaking, you will need a new graphics card. I see that your PC has an AGP x4 slot. Look to get an FX5500 or an FX5200. It will be more than enough to run Black & White. Get an AGP one though and not a PCI version, since both cards are available in these versions. They shouldn't cost more than $40-$50.
  3. DivineMeia

DivineMeia Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 24

And another stupid question...

AGP x4 Slot might be located... where exactly?

-shudder of embarassment-
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

If you take the side of your case off and look at the motherboard (big rectangle thing everything is plugged into) the AGP slot is the slot above the white plastic slots, the AGP is likely brown and a bit larger than the white PCI ones.

Basically if you get a AGP card, the AGP slot is the only one it will fit into.
  5. DivineMeia

Ok...

I actually got a suggestion from a co-worker. He said to go witha 7series graphics card or something...

would that be a better idea?
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

Its not a better idea, its the same idea. He's just refering to something in the 7000 line of nVidia graphics cards. You'll need to be careful and make sure you get the AGP version of whatever one you decide and not the PCIe.
  7. DivineMeia

Okay... sounds good. I was gonna go to Fry's tonight after I get off work and check out the graphics cards. Wish I knew what I was looknig for... X_x;;
  8. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

I don't think that budget T-2792 is capable of doing what you wish... be CERTAIN of what slots you have before you go to the store... as I do not think that motherboard has an AGP slot, though I haven't looked for a long time.
  9. DivineMeia

Oi... why must computers be so difficult?

Third opinion tells me to wait for Vista...

But I wanna be able to play it now. xD

Been waiting to play it all weekend.

So what does the AGP slot look like, exactly? I've looked at my motherboard maybe, oh, once. :(
  10. Rage_3K_Moiz

AS SNGX said, it should be slightly bigger than the PCI slots, of which there will be 2-3. These will be white while the AGP slot will most likely be brown in colour.
  11. raybay

Take another close look at the board. My specs sheet says it is a limited home machine with 3 PCI slots, no AGP slot, and an Intel 845GV chipset. You will need a PCI video card, not AGP, and you will have difficulty disabling the on-board video. Whatever you will will shorten the life of the computer, because it has a high failure rate motherboard... not PSU, but motherboard.
    This is a low budget machine that is a throw-away unit. Its average life span is a mere two years.
    Put your money into a better machine, even a refurb will do you more good.

12. Rage_3K_Moiz

Ah it's an OEM mobo with the 845GV chipset. Those don't have AGP slots unfortunately. You're stuck with PCI then my friend. But on the bright side, it will be real cheap to get a PCI video card. A PCI FX5200 or FX5500 is quite cheap and will run the game well enough, although if ur ready to spend some more dough, get the 6200 PCI. It will run the game quite smoothly and it will look a lot nicer than on the FX cards. However, I would strongly agree with raybay's advice. Sell it on Ebay or something and save up a bit more cash. You can build a very good PC for around 800 dollars which will easily play Black & White 2 or any other game you throw at it.
  13. DivineMeia

Those are good ideas. I've had this comp for about... oh... 2-3 years now. It's run pretty well. My parents originally bought it when they bought my VAIO, but my VAIO got stolen, and I just moved out, so they gave me their old comp, the EMachines, since they just got a new one. It's played alot of games that it says it shouldn't be able to, like City of Heroes, which was a little choppy but otherwise smooth for most of the gameplay, as well as FFXI, which I was even mildly surprised had survived on my comp. I had it wiped a while back, and then loaded a few different games onto it, including WoW, which ran... somewhat... successfully. So this just kind of irks me that B&W2 won't run... So... if I want to temporarily play it, buy a PCI cheap card, and then just invest in a better computer, eh? After bills are paid off, I can have the money for a good computer in like, a month or so... so I hope the PCI will last a month... or at least, I hope my comp will last a month...
  14. raybay

Chances are fairly good that it wont.
  15. DivineMeia

Well, if not, then I'll just have to use my fiances. ^_^

I can still decently play net games on it... so I guess I'll survive.

Or I can revert to my library of simple games. Like Rollercoaster Tycoon xD
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.