BlackBerry cancels annual Live conference after 12 consecutive years

By Shawn Knight
Dec 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. In what probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise at this point, Canadian handset maker BlackBerry has canceled its annual BlackBerry Live conference for 2014. It’ll be the first time in 12 years the company won’t host a major...

Read more
  2. danR
    The projected 'success' of Chen's restructuring is a delusion. The decimation of local employment, the obliteration of the handset market in favor of services, the shift of hardware to partners in Asia at cut-throat salaries (what major player these days isn't grabbing for internal production?).

What Chen is creating isn't Blackberry/RIM 3.0. He's moving toward an enterprise that simply has rights to the name 'Blackberry'. It's like 'Indian' motorcycles. The company simply doesn't exist anymore. You get a motorcycle with the 'Indian' label stuck on it.
  3. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 858   +75

I remember my first phone was the blackberry pearl and I loved that thing. Blackberry was the most popular phone of its time, and with good reason. The reason I loved them so much was the physical keyboard. With my lumia 920 it took my a few months to adjust to an onscreen keyboard. Before this I had an LG quantum, the only windows phone I could find with a physical keyboard. I'd still jump on a windows phone with a physical key board but the features I wanted simply weren't available, wp8 or android.
  4. thelatestmodel

thelatestmodel Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

It doesn't matter what they do at this point, the company is doomed. Waterloo is literally bracing itself for the fallout, there's going to be thousands out of work.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,719   +873

Yeah. BB could be a huge player if they had released BB10 earlier when the iOS vs Android battle was still in its median stage. The reason it is failing now is because the battle between mobile OS' is already dominated by Apple (iOS) and Google (Android).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.