TechSpot

BlackBerry cuts staff, discontinues select phones as $1B loss looms

By Shawn Knight
Sep 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Things have gone from bad to worse and now just flat out disastrous for Canadian handset maker BlackBerry. The once thriving enterprise-minded firm on Friday confirmed rumors that were floating around earlier in the week – the reduction of 40...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,557   +862

I hate to see blackberry go like this, but they made some stupid design decisions on their attempt to regain some market and they dont really deserve any share....

3. While still commanding a significant market value, BB should sell its business to MS. in lieu of that, BB should strike a deal with MS to produce windows phones. Or let Lenovo buy it.

Going into the android ecosystem would mean that BB is just another small fish in a big ocean dominated by the megalodon Samsung.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

The Q10 could have been their savior. Too bad it is way too expensive. BB screwed up and now they have to pay for it.

5. Krimi

Krimi TS Rookie

Blackberry kinda shot themselves in the leg here .. the Z10 should have been out 3 years ago and that would have saved them. The way I see it, they will stop making mobile phone and focus only on software. In all fairness, the Blackberry Mobile Device Management software is not bad at all and it works across Blackberry / Android / iOS

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

What software other than BBM xD?

7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,622   +376

Usability of iOS and Android and what happened to Symbian were warning shots. They just didn't read the writing on the wall. Hard to say if that's good or bad for the ecosystem... maybe bad with how Google controls so much market share now.

8. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 209   +30

Sorry to see you go BlackBerry.

9. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

I'm glad they've thrown in the public towel. All I've ever heard about BlackBerry from the general public for the past year or so is blind "YOU SCREWED UP - YOU SHOULD PAY" hate. People are sadistic. Thank God it's over.