BlackBerry explains the design decision behind the Passport's square display

By Shawn Knight
Jul 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Last month we profiled BlackBerry's upcoming Passport smartphone. The title of the article labeled the handset as an oddball considering its square display - a design decision that's went largely unexplained until now.

Read more
  2. Dimitriid

Dimitriid TS Booster Posts: 33   +34

Would be somehow reasonable if there was no hand ergonomics involved: Either the text will be too small or the device will be too unwieldy, sadly a consequence of human beings not having square shaped hands.
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I legitimately thought this device was a joke when I first saw it...
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

"hey guys, we think the square screen is a little more efficient for work, so we are gonna do it and completely ignore the fact that we just nulled the possibility of 75% of the worlds apps and videos appearing fullscreen on our phone, because everyone else uses reasonable aspect ratios!"
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I get it that this thing is a productivity device and not just another phone for facebook and texting, but if square the ideal shape for productivity we'd be using square monitors.
  6. Polaco

Polaco TS Rookie Posts: 46   +8

well monitors can accomodate more than 66 characters nowdays
  7. Just waitning for circle format, because my hand is circle.
  8. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Booster Posts: 147   +25

I want one in the shape of my hand. Than I can slap someone in the face and say: Ohh, its for you...
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,936

Looks like Blackberry is trying to offer the consumer a square deal here. Apple should have done this first because their fans are usually blockheads.
  10. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 209   +30

I guess people with small hands aren't going to enjoy holding this one. Would make a nice drink coaster when it goes obsolete.