BlackBerry files lawsuit against Ryan Seacrest-backed Typo over upcoming iPhone Keyboard

Shawn Knight

Staff member

blackberry ryan seacrest lawsuit typo keyboard

Struggling handset maker BlackBerry has filed a lawsuit against the yet-to-be-released Typo iPhone Keyboard, the debut product from Typo Product LLC – a venture co-founded by Hollywood personality Ryan Seacrest and entrepreneur Laurence Hallier. The company claims the external keyboard infringes on patents and designs used in the BlackBerry Q10 and other handsets.

In a complaint filed in federal court in San Francisco on Friday, BlackBerry said Typo chose to copy their iconic keyboard design and is seeking to trade on the company’s commercial recognition and goodwill. The Waterloo, Ontario-based company is reportedly seeking unspecified damages and a court order that would force Typo to first obtain a licensing agreement before being able to sell the keyboard.

If you aren’t familiar, the Typo case is designed to slide onto the iPhone 5 / iPhone 5s, offering up a physical keyboard for use in portrait mode. The board, which uses Bluetooth to communicate with the handset, doesn’t restrict access to the speaker, microphone or Lightning connector and since an on-screen keyboard won’t be necessary, users will enjoy up to 40 percent more screen real estate.

The initial plan was for the keyboard to debut at next week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas but given the lawsuit, those plans may now be in limbo.

The keyboard layout admittedly does look a lot like what we’ve seen on BlackBerry phones over the years but then again, I imagine it’d be difficult to deviate much from the basic keyboard layout without wrecking the user experience.

Permalink to story.

Im so tired of people getting sued over the design of...I guess you would calm them rounded rectangular prisms? I dont know.

I love this actually, it is better that Apple is on the receiving end of a bogus lawsuit. Apple has gone farther with much more simplistic designs (analog clock, anyone?). Time to get a taste of their own Ipecac.

EDIT: Yes, I understand it is not Apple developing this product, but it makes me happy to see this happening with a peripheral for their product.

I couldn't help but see the resemblance of that keyboard to that on a Blackberry. I thought this would happen. Besides, if Apple is so smug about their design, then why mess it up with something that looks/feels like it came from RIM's labs?

Im so tired of people getting sued over the design of...I guess you would calm them rounded rectangular prisms? I dont know.

Uhm, God forbid those who decide anything to design a rectangular product with rounded corners. The pot calling the kettle black.

I couldn't help but see the resemblance of that keyboard to that on a Blackberry. I thought this would happen. Besides, if Apple is so smug about their design, then why mess it up with something that looks/feels like it came from RIM's labs?
The keyboard does not come from Apple!

you should probably read things before commenting.
Apple didn't have anything to do with this product.
How do you suggest the product should be shaped? As an oval? a sphere? those are super efficient, amirite?

you should probably read things before commenting.
Apple didn't have anything to do with this product.
How do you suggest the product should be shaped? As an oval? a sphere? those are super efficient, amirite?
Actually, I read it and I know it doesn't come from Apple. Apple users should understand, in one form or another, be it through proxy of some other maker of products, that the disturbing patent laws cuts both ways. Do you see anything wrong with the lawsuit?

Actually, I read it and I know it doesn't come from Apple. Apple users should understand, in one form or another, be it through proxy of some other maker of products, that the disturbing patent laws cuts both ways. Do you see anything wrong with the lawsuit?
yes. yes I do. Did you know that at the same time as blackberry was at its peak, dozens of other phones were released with rectangular keyboards at the bottom? gasp! And its not until now, when blackberry is on the verge of death, surpassed by nearly every other smartphone maker, that they sue someone for it. What are the expecting? significant amounts of money?

Are they scared that this will bite into their market share of smartphones? the already tiny one they already have?

See, if it was a normal QWERTY keyboard, I could see why some of you are trying to make this seem like it's not a big deal....
But that literally is the same style as a Q10's keyboard, right down to the exact button shape and the metal row dividers (the picture of the guy holding it looks like a Q10's keyboard was photoshopped onto an iPhone). This is one of those cases where the Typo designers were id!ots to think they could get away with such precise copying...

See, if it was a normal QWERTY keyboard, I could see why some of you are trying to make this seem like it's not a big deal....
But that literally is the same style as a Q10's keyboard, right down to the exact button shape and the metal row dividers (the picture of the guy holding it looks like a Q10's keyboard was photoshopped onto an iPhone). This is one of those cases where the Typo designers were id!ots to think they could get away with such precise copying...

There have been cheap Chinese addon keyboards exactly like this for a couple years now. Where was the Blackberry legal them then, negotiating Alicia Keys' million bucks for lip service? What about the Motorola Droid Pro, which actually had a Blackberry keyboard ON it?? Jesus, this company can't even do *lawsuits* right. I hope k/bs like this are very affordable and well made so I can finally have a modern smartphone.

On that topic, I have something you will like. Basically, I did something called an Extended Project Qualification (it counts as an AS Level in England. You do an AS and an A2 combining to make an A Level, and they get you into university) and I did mine on Apple. And I found the design patent on which Samsung infringed upon in the billion dollar lawsuit.

It genuinely hurt my eyes to see the "design patent" they were awarded. Here are the highlights.

I) A rectangular, biaxially symmetrical slab with four evenly, slightly rounded corners; (I.e. any phone ever made)
ii) A flat transparent surface without ornamentation covering the front face to the rim; (I.e. a bezel around a screen)
iii) A very thin rim of constant width, surrounding and flush with the front transparent surface; (I.e. a lrage amount of phones made around the year 1995-2005 before Apple made the iPhone)
iv) A rectangular display screen surrounded by a plain border of generally constant width centred beneath the transparent surface; (I.e. almost any electrical device with a screen ever, such as a clock, a phone, a computer display from 1980, etc)
v) A substantially flat rear surface which curves upwards at the sides and comes to meet the front surface at a crisp outer edge; (I.e. something that doesn't have edges so sharp it cuts your hands. I.e. any phone ever)
vi) A thin profile, the impression of which is emphasised by (v) above; (I.e. the aim of every phone ever)
vii) Overall, a design of extreme simplicity without features which specify orientation. (subjective)

In fact, they aren't the highlights. That's the entire thing. It's a travesty of a patent, and it's written as generically as possible to maximize the suing radius.

And **** like that is why I don't like Apple.

On that topic, I have something you will like. Basically, I did something called an Extended Project Qualification (it counts as an AS Level in England. You do an AS and an A2 combining to make an A Level, and they get you into university) and I did mine on Apple. And I found the design patent on which Samsung infringed upon in the billion dollar lawsuit.

It genuinely hurt my eyes to see the "design patent" they were awarded. Here are the highlights.

I) A rectangular, biaxially symmetrical slab with four evenly, slightly rounded corners; (I.e. any phone ever made)
ii) A flat transparent surface without ornamentation covering the front face to the rim; (I.e. a bezel around a screen)
iii) A very thin rim of constant width, surrounding and flush with the front transparent surface; (I.e. a lrage amount of phones made around the year 1995-2005 before Apple made the iPhone)
iv) A rectangular display screen surrounded by a plain border of generally constant width centred beneath the transparent surface; (I.e. almost any electrical device with a screen ever, such as a clock, a phone, a computer display from 1980, etc)
v) A substantially flat rear surface which curves upwards at the sides and comes to meet the front surface at a crisp outer edge; (I.e. something that doesn't have edges so sharp it cuts your hands. I.e. any phone ever)
vi) A thin profile, the impression of which is emphasised by (v) above; (I.e. the aim of every phone ever)
vii) Overall, a design of extreme simplicity without features which specify orientation. (subjective)

In fact, they aren't the highlights. That's the entire thing. It's a travesty of a patent, and it's written as generically as possible to maximize the suing radius.

And **** like that is why I don't like Apple.

Don't blame Apple. Blame the patent laws. Normally, I'm not a fan of the argument 'Don't blame the player, blame the game.' But in the case of a law it applies. US Patent law was written decades before electronics and software, and they haven't adjusted the laws to incorporate new tech into the old laws.

Any company, just like any person will follow a law right up to the limit because to not do so is a waste. You wouldn't pay extra tax just because it felt right would you? Driving under the speed limit annoys people, and people don't go hunting or fishing and stop before they reach their limit. You get the point... Patent laws need some serious modifications and the govt knows it. Hopefully they'll do it soon.

It does look very similar to BB's keyboard and I feel that this is a valid lawsuit in a way because BB's only real trademark is their comfortable keyboard and the fact that someone is making a similar one for the iPhone is basically taking away business. But on the contrary, like Clifford mentioned above, there are not many ways to make a QWERTY keyboard that can fit the already small iPhone.

Let me fix that for you Clifford. I mean come on man, we are in the hashtag age!:
It is a QWERTY keyboard! How else can you make it look?

#PatheticLawsuit.

There have been cheap Chinese addon keyboards exactly like this for a couple years now. Where was the Blackberry legal them then, negotiating Alicia Keys' million bucks for lip service? What about the Motorola Droid Pro, which actually had a Blackberry keyboard ON it?? Jesus, this company can't even do *lawsuits* right. I hope k/bs like this are very affordable and well made so I can finally have a modern smartphone.
It's probably the same reason why I've never seen what you claim be an issue: they either aren't worth the thought or time, or they did license the keyboard and your point is mute...
In this case, they aren't some cheap Chinese company, and they haven't licensed the exact design......

I love this actually, it is better that Apple is on the receiving end of a bogus lawsuit. Apple has gone farther with much more simplistic designs (analog clock, anyone?). Time to get a taste of their own Ipecac.

EDIT: Yes, I understand it is not Apple developing this product, but it makes me happy to see this happening with a peripheral for their product.

This lawsuit isn't bogus if you compare this to the keyboard on a Blackberry Q10 its obvious.

Those that do not protect their patents will lose them.

From what I've seen I believe Blackberry will want a licensing deal out of this.

And as they say imitation is the best form of flattery lol

This is how you turn your iPhone into a blackberry:
1. Download blackberry messenger app from your iPhone
2. Buy the typo keyboard and snap it to your iPhone
3. Now your iBlackberryPhone is ready

This is how you turn your iPhone into a blackberry:
1. Download blackberry messenger app from your iPhone
2. Buy the typo keyboard and snap it to your iPhone
3. Now your iBlackberryPhone is ready

I prefer iBerry less words and rolls off the tongue better :p

Back