BlackBerry gets caught tweeting from an iPhone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

blackberry iphone twitter smartphone app

Nearly a year ago, BlackBerry’s Global Creative Director and singer Alicia Keys was caught sending a tweet not from a BlackBerry device but from an iPhone. That isn’t half as bad as what happened earlier today regarding the Canadian handset maker’s main Twitter account.

The company sent out a tweet earlier, urging its faithful users to keep up with the conversation on Twitter. The problem with the tweet was the fact that, once again, it was posted from the Twitter app for iPhone. Whoops.

blackberry iphone twitter smartphone app

The offending tweet was quickly removed but not before The Verge could grab a screenshot.

While information regarding what device a tweet originated from isn’t visible within the regular Twitter app, it’s displayed front and center in third-party clients like Tweetbot and Tweetdeck. You’d think that the marketing person responsible for managing the company’s official Twitter feed would be aware of that.

What’s more, you’d think the company would have its social media marketing department using its own handsets, but I digress. Either way, it’ll be curious to see if BlackBerry addresses the matter publically or not.

If you recall, Alicia Keys blamed her incident on hackers but she isn’t the only one to get caught in such a manner. Several months earlier, Oprah published a tweet endorsing Microsoft’s Surface which was sent from an iPad.

Permalink to story.

Just because you work for a company doesn't mean you have to like/use their produces. And to be honest a single tweet means nothing. This topic is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Is this newsworthy? What difference does it make from which make of device it was tweeted? I would've thought the tweet would be far more important or interesting.

Why would the marketing person from BB be tweeting from a mobile device in the first place? I would expect them to use a desktop for doing their work.

Why would the marketing person from BB be tweeting from a mobile device in the first place? I would expect them to use a desktop for doing their work.
Probably because Twitter is accessible from anything that has a browser so the marketing person doesn't have to be in a cubicle in order to send tweets. It's a mobile world, why sit at a desk to send tweets when you can send tweets while doing something else at the same time?

"BlackBerry’s Global Creative Director and singer Alicia Keys"

I... wow. It's as if they wanted to die. The company is bleeding out, incapable of a product to captivate the masses, and as a solution, they choose someone with absolutely no experience in the technology field?

It's made worse by the simple fact that she isn't even particularly remarkable in her own career.

Christ, why not hire on Clay Aiken as the CFO? Maybe then they can buy a company working on something more revolutionary than a phone with a square screen.

"BlackBerry’s Global Creative Director and singer Alicia Keys"

I... wow. It's as if they wanted to die. The company is bleeding out, incapable of a product to captivate the masses, and as a solution, they choose someone with absolutely no experience in the technology field?

It's made worse by the simple fact that she isn't even particularly remarkable in her own career.

Christ, why not hire on Clay Aiken as the CFO? Maybe then they can buy a company working on something more revolutionary than a phone with a square screen.
Creative Director in this sense is not a real position and multiple companies have celebs as "Creative Directors". It seems it is more of a spokesperson job with maybe some design input than a real important job. Polaroid and Intel both have celeb Creative Directors (Lady GaGa and Will.I.Am respectively).

As for her career putting out 5 albums, winning 105 awards while being nominated for 195 (putting her in top 20 most awarded artists ever), being certified multi platinum on 4 of 5 studio albums and gold on 5th selling over 30 million copies total shows she has done pretty well in her own career. Just because you don't know much about her doesn't mean she had done badly in her career.

Back