BlackBerry Leap targets road warriors with 25 hours of battery life

Shawn Knight

Staff member

BlackBerry is going after road warriors with its latest handset. The BlackBerry Leap, unveiled on Tuesday during Mobile World Congress, promises buyers up to 25 hours of battery life from a single charge.

With the Leap, the resilient Canadian handset maker is deviating away from the retro look and feel of the keyboard-laden Passport to something that’s a bit more modern with a large touchscreen. It offers a 5-inch display with a resolution of 1,280 x 720 (294 PPI) that’s powered by a dated Qualcomm S4 processor clocked at 1.5GHz and 2GB of RAM.

blackberry mwc smartphone keyboard battery life blackberry 10 leap curved display mwc 2015 blackberry leap slider phone blackberry slider physical keyboard

Elsewhere, users can expect 16GB of onboard storage that is expandable via microSD card slot, an 8-megapixel auto-focus camera around back, a 2-megapixel fixed-focus forward-facing camera and a 2,800mAh battery. Bluetooth 4.0, GPS, NFC, Wi-Fi and LTE connectivity all come standard. It will ship running BlackBerry 10.3.1.

Given the specs, this is clearly a mid-range phone and the price – $275 straight up – reflects that. BlackBerry says the phone is designed for young mobile professionals who value security and privacy in a modern and powerful design package.

blackberry mwc smartphone keyboard battery life blackberry 10 leap curved display mwc 2015 blackberry leap slider phone blackberry slider physical keyboard

While the Leap may be an “average” looking handset, another device it briefly shown off is anything but. Described by Engadget as the holy union between the Leap and the Passport, the unnamed handset carries a dual-curved, all-touch display with a keyboard. Or in other words, it’s a modern-day slider phone with a curved display similar to what’s found on the Galaxy S6 Edge.

Unfortunately, that’s all we know about this mysterious slider at this time.

Permalink to story.

Well, yeah it's got 25 hours of battery life... Blackberry phones don't have any apps to use. :)

I dunno, I have a whole bunch of apps from BlackBerry World, Google Play (Via SNAP), 1Mobile Market, and the Amazon App store that I can install on my Z30 ... no shortage of apps here.

You can get those 25 hours from any android or iPhone without apps and nobody using it LOL

Forgot to add .... 29 hours of battery out of my Z30 with regular usage of many apps, wifi, Bluetooth, etc. I LOL at those who barely get a day out of their phone.

Forgot to add .... 29 hours of battery out of my Z30 with regular usage of many apps, wifi, Bluetooth, etc. I LOL at those who barely get a day out of their phone.
Can't tell if nuttyrat works for Blackberry or is speaking the truth.

You can buy a power bank and have 2 or 3 times that autonomy. Phone looks good.

Can't tell if nuttyrat works for Blackberry or is speaking the truth.

Hah, if only!

Sorry to disappoint but I'm just a network/mobile device administrator at an engineering firm. Quite honestly I find what you say a little short-sighted considering there are people who like Windows Phone, Android, and Apple who do not work for those companies ... yet they like those devices. All four major platforms excel in their own niche; BlackBerry 10 wins on security & messaging, Apple wins on simplicity and apps, Android wins on open standards and device choice, and Windows Phone wins on System Center/Intune integration and live tiles.

He speaks the truth cause he actually owns a blackberry like myself.

I get 20-24hours out of my Z30 with normal usage.

The rest of you have probably never held a BB10 device in your hand, and just continue to peddle the FUD you read on the internet!

Back