BlackBerry Passport launching this Wednesday, aims to undercut the competition at $599

Shawn Knight

Staff member

blackberry passport ceo blackberry smartphone passport

BlackBerry is planning to showcase its Passport smartphone at a trio of media events this Wednesday. The phone, with its unusual 4.5-inch square display, will become available for purchase on the same day according to BlackBerry CEO John Chen.

During a recent interview with The Wall Street Journal, Chen revealed the Passport will debut at $599 in the US (unlocked, contract-free). That’s a good bit cheaper than most other flagship smartphones, an advantage that Chen believes will encourage user adoption.

For those not up to speed, the Passport is expected to ship with a quad-core Snapdragon 800 SoC clocked at 2.2GHz alongside 3GB of RAM and 32GB of onboard flash storage (expandable via microSD card slot). A 13-megapixel camera is believed to be positioned around back while a 2-megapixel shooter is expected to draw the assignment on the opposite side.

A 3,450mAh battery is rumored to offer up to 19 hours of use per charge but it’s the screen that people are most curious about.

The 4.5-inch display operates at 1,440 x 1,440 and is unlike anything we’ve seen in the modern smartphone era. As BlackBerry’s Matt Young explained over the summer, the phone was inspired by an actual passport as it is considered the universal symbol of mobility.

More importantly, however, the Passport's display is said to be ideal for reading e-books, viewing documents and browsing the web as it can show more characters per line of text than the average rectangular smartphone. 

Permalink to story.

I think something like this could move then back onto the map. They already have Ford's in dash system with their OS and with a phone that appeals to the right people especially businesses, they will come back into the market.

Impressive hardware and the screen res sounds like it would be way better for web browsing than my(or any regular) phone.

I'm kind of excited to see how this goes, it would be pretty cool if BB can stay afloat and offer up something else that doesn't look like a iphone/samsung clone.

I'm interested in seeing one of these.

I've been running the new leak of the OS that will be coming on this phone on my test phone and its great.

Curious to see how it will feel in hand and the weight. Will most likely get one at work to test with before the users hopefully.

I might consider this interesting take on a phone for half the price, $600 is a bit steep. Then again I am still very happy with my Nexus 5 I picked up a year ago for $350.

Its rather telling that not a single carrier is picking this thing up. Here's hoping that AT&T gets the BB Classic, otherwise a lot of potential customers aren't going to be able to afford it.

Back