Blackberry Priv available for pre-order in UK; price and specs revealed along with promo video

midian182

Staff member

Just one month after Blackberry CEO John Chen confirmed the company’s plans to launch an Android-powered handset called the Priv, UK-based retailer Carphone Warehouse has revealed the price and estimated release date for the handset. Additionally, Blackberry has released its official promotional video for the device which you can watch below.

An unlocked Priv can be pre-ordered in the UK from Carphone Warehouse for £580 (approximately $898) with an estimated delivery date of November 6. The rest of the world can preregister for the smartphone here.

The Priv comes with a physical keyboard, a feature that many Blackberry devices were famous for, although this one slides out of the phone. The device has a 5.4-inch screen and is 5.7-inches long, increasing to 7.2-inches when the slider is extended. An impressive 2560 X 1440 screen resolution boasts 540 PPI – an increase over the iPhone 6S and 6S plus. The front facing-camera has a 2MP sensor, while the rear-facing sensor has 18MP. On the storage front, the Priv’s internal memory starts at 32GB but the Micro SD card slot can increase this up to 2TB. The whole thing is powered by a hexa-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 808) chipset backed by 3 GB of RAM and a massive 3410mAh battery.

The Priv also features a dual-curved screen and DTEK, a warning system app designed to enhance the handset's privacy. The smartphone will be running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop out of the box; there's currently no word when, or if, the Priv will be upgrading Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Anyone interested in the Priv may want to check out the range of official accessories that Blackberry has revealed for the device.

Speaking about the Priv back in September, Chen said: “I am confirming our plans to launch Priv, an Android device named after BlackBerry's heritage and core mission of protecting our customers' privacy. Priv combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform. This phone is the answer for former BlackBerry users who miss the physical keyboard but also need apps.”

Blackberry was once a dominant force in the cell phone market but now makes up less than 1 percent of all sales. While the Priv does look fairly impressive, it remains to be seen just how appealing the smartphone will be to consumers, or if it will ever become a serious competitor to Apple and Samsung’s devices.

Permalink to story.

... why go back to the way the Blackberry Touch was? the Z10/30/50 keypad was so much better. In-fact it's the only reason I use a Z10 (email/text). Been putting off getting an android, anyone know of a good keyboard app that simulates the Z10 swipe keypad?

I don't know what to make of this. I liked Blackberry's back in the day but it's obvious the company is not what it once was and to charge so much for an SD 808 equipped device is utter madness, only Apple could pull a stunt like that and get away with it. Besides who wants a device with the name of Priv? It sounds like a toilet to me.
Lets wait and see if this will ring the deathknell for Blackberry hardware.

Man that is an expensive phone... and I'm not sure on the keyboard in portrait mode. Why can't they just make a slide out keyboard for landscape mode instead? I don't know I really miss my Droid 4 keyboard... that was about as good as a smart phone keyboard can get. Damn it Motorola, you need to make a Droid 5.

I don't think this is going to catch on for BB... but kudos for trying. I think.

This phone could have saved the company a year ago..and at a price point $200 lower. A shame nobody is making something like a newer version of the Droid Pro so we don't have to watch QWERTY die along with Blackberry.

Oh man, I would love to see a return of the Sidekick with Android.

Back