Blank BSOD caused by ati3duag.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

aege125

I installed a radeon 9550 256M DDR AGP video card and at times I get blank BSOD (when playing games) and I've read the minidump and it says it was caused by ati3duag.dll.....all my drivers are updated, winodws updated, and reformated 3 days ago.....I had a radeon 9200 SE 128M DDR AGP video card before and didnt have this problem.....I have an Intel desktop board D865GBF (kinda old) but it met the specs of the radeon 9550.....the powersupply, hardrive, or RAM is NOT the source of the BSOD (and nothing is overheating nor is anything overclocked)..... since I never updated my BIOS, I believe it is why I've been getting the BSOD ( Update Release Notes of BIOS http://downloadmirror.intel.com/10130/ENG/BF_P25_ReleaseNotes.pdf ) ..... so my questions are: Why is my BSOD blank? Would the source of the problems be from a faulty video card? Would the BIOS solve this problem? (BIOS update seems to heavily deal with video problems) Would the BIOS update cause further problems and should it have been updated before anything was installed (ie. videocard driver)?

Please answer all questions....

Thanks in advance for people who respond =D

I attached the the minidump if anyone wanted to see it (I only have 1 minidump because I reformatted a second time, and before I reformatted the second time I had like 3 or 4 minidumps pointing to ati3duag.dll

k I went ahead and did a BIOS update..... I'll let u guys know if the problem persists

ok I still got a blank blue screen still caused by ati3duag.dll even after the BIOS update... any ideas?

Please post anything u might know about this issue.... Thank you.

Attachments

• Mini070207-01.dmp
    100 KB · Views: 7
Aege,

I had a situation with my friend with blank BSODs. I'll check his dump files to see what was wrong with his. I also updated every single driver, flashed the BIOS, I even updated the firmware on all the devices. Still nothing. RAM and everything checked out.

For the record though, I haven't been able to fix his. It's a 5 year old Dell so I just attributed it to a failing pc in general which isn't worth spending money on.

I doubt a BIOS update would cause more problems unless you download the wrong version or the power goes out.

I'll take a look at your dump file and post back

-----
Recovery/Workaround:
This may be due to a hardware reconfiguration. Refer to the New Hardware Added/Existing Hardware Modified section in theGeneral Recovery Procedures section.

General Recovery Procedures
In general, there are not too many options for any type of recovery. Typically, one tries to just "reboot" the SunPCi hardware in the hopes that the BSOD occurred because of a rare condition of some driver which was overlooked in coding and testing. However, if the BSOD persists, there are some tactics that may be employed to repair the system and get the SunPCi session back to a state where the BSOD no longer occurs.
• If you had recently installed hardware or software, try removing or disabling it and see if the condition remains. Specifically, the user should be suspicious of 3rd party hardware/software that has not passed the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility Tests (HCT) and therefore not on the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). Additionally, drivers that are not digitally signed may be suspect.
• Check the System Log in the Event Viewer for messages that may identify the device or driver that has failed.
• After reboot, the user is suggested to check the disk integrity by running Chkdsk /f /r on all emulated drive partitions.
Note: If you system partition is formatted with FAT (FAT16 or FAT32), the long filenames used by Windows can be damaged if scandisk or another MS-DOS based hard disk tools is used to verify the integrity of your hard disk from an MS-DOS prompt. Always use the version of Chkdsk that matches your Windows version. This is typically found C:\winnt\system32 or %SystemRoot%\system32.
New Hardware Added/Existing Hardware Modified
This case seems to be one of the major causes of BSODs in a previously stable installation. If new hardware has been added, or existing hardware modified:
• Run manufacturer supplied diagnostics on the device.
• Make sure all adapter cards, memory sims, connectors are properly seated and fastened. Microsoft recommends to “use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment to ensure that all contacts are clean”. However, it should be noted that ink erasers are not recommended as the gold on the card fingers is so thin that one may remove some/all of the metal, which may cause additional problems/failures.
• Make sure the latest drivers from the supplier have been installed and that they match the version and service pack of the Windows operating system.
• Check the System Log in the Event Viewer for any driver/service failures or errors.
• Check the SunPCi log file for any driver failure or errors.
• Remove and/or disable the drivers for that hardware and reboot to see if the error condition persists.

thanks for looking into this, i attached 2 other minidumps which were also blank BSODs the last one said it was caused by win32k.sys the first one was also ati3duag.dll

i'm starting to wonder if the problem is linked to RAM with a faulty address even though MemTest86 didnt catch anything.... i experience the blank BSODs only when playing a game.... at times the game crashes with error messages and at other times i get the blank BSOD

i have 2 512MB DDR .... one of them is newly bought and the other is around 2 years old.... i believe my older RAM is causing the problems

so currently i'm trying to get a blank BSOD by playing games with only my old RAM in

so after i get the blank BSOD (if i do) i'm going to remove my old 512 DDR and continue playing but this time with my new 512 DDR in and see if i still get the blank BSOD

i'll post post my results....

Ok good plan.

I'll go over to my buddys tonight and try a few things. His RAM tested OK for like 17 passes too. Maybe I'll try swapping out with a known good stick and try that.

I remember reading on here that a majority of BSODs are caused by faulty RAM.

ok here are my results:

tested new 512 DDR RAM playing Warcraft 3 ---- crash (not BSOD)
" old " " " " " ----- crash (not BSOD)
tested both RAM in ( total 1GB ) playing Warcraft 3 ------ lower frequency of crashes

tested both RAM playing Oblivion ----- 2 Blank BSODs (tested twice)
" new " " " ----- Blank BSOD
(no need to test the older RAM....likely same result --- hmm maybe i should have tested lol)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

playing the higher end game, Oblivion, gave me ati2cqag.dll as the causitive agent of the occurances of Blank BSODs (from 2 out of 3 dump files)

when i had my older video card in with my old 512 i also had some crashes while playing Warcraft 3 and VPU recovery kicked in at times

i dont seem to receive anymore Blank BSODs playing the lower end games or maybe i havent gotten them just yet... -_- (but i did get them)

well i dont think my RAMs are faulty.... Maybe its my video card?

i cant really return the RAM or video card anymore ... so i'll just leave it be =( it doesnt cause any serious problems and the Blank BSODs dont happen occasionally while playing my lower end games compare to Oblivion

i attached the dump files if anyone wanted to take a look at it

if anyone might know the solution to the problem or whats causing it, please post ty

The problem is that your graphics card may not be functioning properly. You can try to update the driver by going into the Device Manger (Windows), and open the driver properties, and in the "Drivers" tab, and click Update Driver. see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back