TechSpot

Blank screen after starting a game

By MetallicDragon
Aug 6, 2006
  1. After running World of warcraft, and after a few seconds (maybe 5-30), the screen goes blank and the monitor acts like its not getting a signal. My computer is still running but won't react to any buttons I press (at least not on the screen). I think it may be my graphics card overheating. I haven't had this problem before, but this morning my computer was making a loud sound like a fan was clogged so I blew a bunch of dust out of my case.
    I have a 6600 GT by the way, and it has been working for quite a long time.

2. sw123

sw123 TS Rookie Posts: 595

Are you sure your card is compatilble with your mobo? also, try updating the video drivers.

3. MetallicDragon

MetallicDragon TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am pretty sure my video card is compatible with my motherboard because I've been using it for at least a year now. Also I updated my drivers just last week but I'll update them then.

EDIT: I just checked and I have the latest Drivers from nvidia.

4. sw123

How many watts do you get with your PSU? Also, give me all your system specs. I found a place to calculate your specs and get the right amount of wattage.

5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

It might be the CPU heatsink getting overclogged or it's the video card's heatsink.

6. MetallicDragon

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...roduct=371643&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00041542
    That is my computer, except I have replaced the graphics card with a Geforce 6600GT, added 512 MB of ram, and replaced the PSU with a 300W "allied" brand one. I have also added an X-fi extreme music edition soundcard from creative. I also replaced the heatsink on my processor because the old one was falling off, several months ago.

I have also ran the Nvidia heat monitoring program and it reported temperatures well within the norm, but I don't know how to measure CPU heat.

Edit: I am increasingly starting to think that this is a PSU problem, as I just barely have the minimum wattage, and also this started yesterday and that morning there was a power outage, it could have damaged PSU maybe? Well I'm getting a new one today as well as a UPS

7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Get one from a reputed brand. These include Antec, Fortron FSP, Thermaltake, Enermax, OCZ and PC Power & Cooling.

8. MetallicDragon

I bought a 400W PSU and it seems to be working fine! Yay!

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Good to hear. What brand did u buy? The reason I stress the importance of a good quality PSU is because if u buy a cheap quality one, it might take down almost ur entire system when it blows, since such PSU's do not have proper protection in them.

10. MetallicDragon

I bought a CompUSA brand one, was the only ones they had. I also bought a UPS, because I think it blew out because of a power outage the morning before it started not working.

11. Rage_3K_Moiz

I've personally never heard of that brand. Why didn't u order online. U could've got a good one for a relatively cheap price.

12. sw123

Its probably like an Antec, only sold by CompUSA, they put a sticker on it, kind of like powercolor and ATI.

13. Rage_3K_Moiz

Hmm I didn't know about that. Thanks for the info sw123!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.