Blank screen after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

deez

hey,

running windows xp home on an ibm laptop.

I disabled the vga driver and after restart cant see anything after the windows logo / splash screen.

-> restarting in vga mode still wont let me see anything
-> restarting in safe mode hangs at .../Drivers/Mup.sys

not sure how to re enable the vga driver...

thanks for your time.

deez

Reboot your computer, press F8 during the boot process, use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

last good configuration no good

I have tried that ... unfortunately the last good configuration seems to be with a blank screen aswell.

since... I have attempted to recover with the xp home cd.
from there I could see that the video driver "viaIde" was Disabled.

I enabled it using: "enable viaide service_boot_start" and restarted.

still no good.

->restarting in vga enabled mode still leads to blank screen
->still hangs on ../drivers/mup.sys in safe mode start up.

any other suggestions are much appreciated.

deez

nope .. disabling mup.sys didnt help

thanks for your reply.. however

after disabling mup.sys the safe mode startup hangs at ndis.sys

does anyone know the default 'startup_type' value for viaide ?

i've searched around and i think it might be "SERVICE_BOOT_START"

is this a good approach to fixing my blank screen problem ?

thanks

deez

U might just keep running into one hang after another if you keep disabling window services.

Did you try this guys solution?:
I had the same problem with a machine with a ECS K7S5A-Pro. The machine ran fine once built, but after a few months it would not load WinXP and would reboot everytime after loading mup.sys. Having gone through numerrous threads I undertood that this is a motherboard problem where it cannot access/read/boot from certain Hard drives. To fix the problem I booted from WinXP disk (you can use floppy or cd rom) then choose repair option. Then use the fixboot option to fix the bootstrap (the command is similar to fixboot cant remember exactly). You can see the right command by typing help in the repair console. Once I fixed the bootstrap, the problem was fixed.
or this solution?:
Hi there. I am a PC Tech and have come accross this several times.
The main cause of this, is BIOS level virus protection. Mostly Trend Chipguard. What this does, is prevent changes being made to the MBR (Master Boot Record)
To stop this from happening, you will need to go into your BIOS and turn off bios protection. (Or simply restore defaults. This feature is NOT turned on by default, for a very good reason.)
It can also be caused when upgrading if you have multiple UNC protocols installed, for example Client for Novell Networks.
If this is the case, booting to the recovery console and typing disable MUP will work. If caused by bios virus guard however, this will do nothing. An update writes to the MBR saying do this before you next restart, but if this sector is protected, this can not happen - therefore, stall.

and finally this guy writes:
I had this problem today when I installed SP2 for XP. Boot would lock up, safe mode indicated it was locking up at MUP.SYS. I updated the MB BIOS (Asus P42800 mobo) and it booted fine.

problem not mup.sys

hi again.

so my problem originated when i manually disabled the vga video card in windows xp home.

ever since .. nothing is displayed after the windows splash screen.

I have tried those solutions and nothing allows me to reboot in safe mode without hanging at mup.sys.

however the couse of my problem seems totally different then all the others mentioned.

I am hoping there is a way to enable the vga driver that i disabled and just restart normally and not in safemode.

thanks

Physically remove that vid card from the system and do a clean boot...
Now power down and re-install the vid card and re-boot...
Windows will recognise new hardware and ask for the drivers...

patio. :cool:

cant physically remove video card from laptop

sorry, I am unable to remove anything from the laptop.

Does anyone know if I there are other drivers that I need to manipulate in the xp recovery console that will reverse my disabling the vga driver ?

thanks

deez

Because it's on-board video and you can't do what Patio suggested you need to either "fix" the Mup.sys prob (as above) so you can get into safe mode or prob just easier, reinstall XP over itself. Did you/can you? get into BIOS and make sure on-board video is turned on?

IBM BIOS Setup Utility

I am able to enter the IBM BIOS Setup Utility by pressing F1 during startup.

however I am not sure what to look for.

I have reset everything to defaults (F9) ..but still no progress.

How can I find if the onboard video is turned on?
Is there another means to enter the BIOS ?

thanks again

If you set the BIOS to fail safe defaults, then on-board video would be enabled. So that's a dead end again. Once Windows loads your video is turned off. Your best solution I think is re-install XP. This can be done without losing your data. Some things will be over written, like all the drivers will be set to default windows drivers, but your personnal files will remain.

re install question

I have the XP home cd and I have attempted to repair the installation but it changed nothing.

How can I reinstall XP without losing all my files ?

Is anyone aware of any good resources that can aid me in reinstalling xp home without losing my info ?

thanks

deez

blank screen fixed but hanging at Mup.sys

Kirock, thanks for your time and suggestions...

I did the repair/ reinstall and now after the Windows XP home spash screen the system hangs at a blue Windows XP Home screen that says:

"Setup is being restarted ......."

Starting in safe mode hangs at Mup.sys

I've tried to repair the boot.ini file using previous posts... but with no success.

Maybe some specific instructions to fix the Mup.sys problem will help.

thanks again

Hi, boy you just are having no luck with this "macheen"!
From my previous post 10/27/05 I read the MUP.sys prob is related to a boot.ini error so you might try the following procedure.

Possible Fix by reconfiguring boot.ini using Recovery Console.

1.Boot with XP CD or 6 floppy boot disk set.

2. Press R to load the Recovery Console.

3. Type bootcfg.

4. This should fix any boot.ini errors causing setup not to see the XP OS
install.

5. Try the repair install.

One more suggestion from MVP Alex Nichol

"Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option, and if the CD letter is say K: give these commands

copy K:\i386\ntldr C:\
copy K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\

(two other files needed - just in case)

1. Type: attrib -h -r -s C:\boot.ini del C:\boot.ini

2. Type: BootCfg /Rebuild

which will get rid of any damaged boot.ini, search the disk for systems and make a new one. This might even result in a damaged windows reappearing; but gives another chance of getting at the repair

now looping at startup after mup.sys

okay,

so i tried the 'bootcfg' \rebuild command using

"Microsoft Windows XP Home edition" as the load identifier

and

"/fastdetect" as the OS load option.

also deleted the boot.ini file...

now im looping during startup... safemode shows its happening after mup.sys

son of a %$@*!!!

Im getting desperate.

Thanks for your help so far, I appreciate any more suggestions

deez

Sorry Deez,
I didn't respond because I was trying to solicit some more help for you, another member or two with more knowledge then me.:knock:
Tell me the reformat worked! What a bummer though. :dead:

I have been experiencing same problem for months now. The only workaround I found so far was using XP 64. It works fine and no problem at all. Every time I try to load XP, I get the balank screen. I tried ALL Drives.. SATA.. IDE.. SCSI Card SCSI disks...the fresh install works fine some times till I reboot. However, one thing I stress is for me, this problem started after I upgraded my processors from Opteron 250 to Opteron 275. So I thought IWill didn't have good support for this processor and was causing, eventhough I updated to their latest BIOS that clearly says supports 275. Below is my post from AMD fourms website. See if someone can help me, which I doubt would be successfull.

I have never seen this. My Dual Core Opteron 275 was working fine for few days. After I rebooted by computer, it won't load windows XP and I have a green light on monitor but nohting on the screen. After 15 minutes I recycled the power, it said"XP did not load normally, do you want to start Safe mode". I wanted to start in safe mode, then same thing once the OS Menu goes, does not load windows. I ran Setup thinking something wrong, and choose the option to Repair the installation after it detected the System FIles folder, it copied the installation files and when it came time to reboot to start Windows XP installation from windows mode. IT got stuck on the black screen again. No windows installation. I thought there might be problem with the systems files. So I started a Fresh install and even formatted the HDD, it formatted fine and copied files then when it came to load windows or run the windows part of setup it would stay in black screen. Here's all i tried:

Things tried so far to fix the system boot problem:
-Tried to reinstall operating system by formatting HDD
-Replaced Video Card with MSI 8x Graphics card
-Replaced HDD with ATA HDD and tried to install OS, but does not go past DOS installation screen. Also, tried installing SCSI card and SCSI disks.
-Replaced Memory with other Memory tried 1 Memory chip, and 2 diferent chips
- Reset BIOS from Jumper
- Removed the PCI NIC and removed changed Keyboard/Mouse/monitor/CD Drive
- Tried to install Windows 2003, still does not go past the dos screen.
- One Amazing thing is, When I had this problem on IDE drive. I removed the drive and hooked up to a different system as Primary drive and was able to boot to XP on that system. When I brought back to this system, same problem.

SO I tried to install XP - didn't work, so to make sure it is not the CD, i tried to install 2003 same problem.

My computer specs are:

Motherboard: IWill DK8N
Bios: lates V11
CPU: Dual Core Opteron 275 (single processor)
Mem: CorSair 2 GB CAS 2.0 2-3-2-6 3200
Video: ATI AIW x800 Pro (tried other card too from MSI)
All PCI Slots Empty.

The above configuration was working fine for few days, when I rebooted the problem started.

Your Help would be highly appreciated and Thanks in advance!

Hi! I am new here. I do experiencing the same problem.

The screen went blank right after the Window XP logo appeared. And i did a hard-restart, it came out the choices for restart with safemode, normal Window XP..... starting in safe mode, it hang at mup.sys T_T

then if i restart in Normal Window XP mode, it went blank again!

I had been experiencing this problem for the second time! 1st time, i reinstall/repair Window. and it doesn't work at all. so, i reformat the whole computer and start it as a new PC. yeah, it's works fine but only last for less than 3 weeks!!!!!!!!! @_@ and now, i have this problem back to me. T_T

reformat/reinstall window doesn't work at all. can anyone tell me what else to do? i m kind of desperate. thank you.

reformat/reinstall window doesn't work at all.
What does this mean? You get errors trying to install or the install goes ok but when it completes and tries to boot you get blank screen?

We need your system specs. On board or seperate video card?
Do you get any beeps when it boots up?
It could be faulty RAM, try removing one stick. Clean the copper "fingers" and re-insert.
It could be faulty HDD with a damaged MBR sector. Although I would think this would throw up an error during installation.
It could be a faulty PSU, was working (intermittantly) now it's toast.

what i mean was that, after i re-install the window, it works very well. I can use it as normal, but this only last for a short time (< 3 weeks). and then the same problem occurred again. the screen become blank again after the WinXP's logo during Window startup. and when i restart the computer in safe mode, it hangs while loading Mup.sys

Mine is a seperate video card. but i had tried the onboard card too. both gives the same problem.

It sounds like a MBR corruption on the HDD.
Can you boot using a WinXP boot floppy or boot CD?
If you can and all is well then you know your Master Boot Record sector on the HDD is corrupt. At that point you can load the Recovery Console and run FIXMRB, to try and repair it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back