Blank Screen on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, when I woke up to start up my computer and press the power button, the comp tried to start up for about 2 secs, with the HDD light flashing... then turned right back off. I was puzzled at this and proceeded to troubleshoot. I cleared the CMOS and checked all the cables and tested the RAM... all turned out fine. Then it actually proceeded to have it stay on and everything and all the fans were running and whatnot. Then I disconnected the HDD and suprisingly, it finally allowed me to get to the BIOS and I changed a couple settings. Then reconnected the HDD and everything was peachy keen.
Flash to THIS morning.... the same thing has happened. Except this time, with the methods that I have tried, it is not working. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve before I start to hit the panic button though. This leads me to believe that it is either the PS or the mobo that have crapped out on me. Any suggestions and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated at this point. Here are my specs:

WinXP Pro SP2
P4 3.2 gHz Prescott
ASUS P4S800 MoBo
2x512 Kingston HyperX 3200DDR RAM
XFX GeForce 6600GT 128 MB
200 GB Seagate IDE HDD
SONY DVD Burner
and Axio Technologies 500W PS(crappy PS, which is why I think this is it)

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Are you getting any failure beep code at post?
Typically video, ram, and cpu.
Are you running the dvd and hdd on separate ide?
Check for bios updates.
For trouble shooting:
Swap out the Psu if you can.
Bare setup, then add each componant.
It may take longer but I like to start with
the cheap stuff first, then once ruled out go up.
Do yo have another systen to check out some of your componants?
G'Luck

There are no beeps at all when the comp is starting up. The problem is I don't have any components here at school which I can swap out to see if they are the problem at all. I tried to run a bare config with just the PS, Proccessor, RAM and graphics and it wouldn't load to the BIOS... this leads me to believe it's most likely the Mobo...but I still can't besureuntil I can switch out everything else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back