Blank screen, please help me with a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

In the past I was having problems with my pc just crashing and eventually it doesn't turn on. The motherboard light is on, fans work, I can hear the hard drive working but there are no beeps. I just bought a new cpu and for a while it turned on then it would crash as before and now it doesn't turn on again. My suspicion is that it's either the motherboard or psu but with the graphics card fan, cpu fan, motherboard light are all still on so I doubt it's that. I am going to order a new motherboard or psu can anyone suggest which I should do or alternatives? Thanks

My pc:

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 2.8 GHz (478 socket)
1Gb ram
360 W psu
NVidia FX 5200 graphics card
motherboard is Asus P4P800
2 Hard drives, 125 MB each (roughly)

Also things like unplugging the HD, graphics card or RAM doesnt do anything, still no beep..etc.
When I first got it to work after buying and installing the new cpu it was saying it wasnt detecting the cpu fan, but I dont know how that can be since it was running fine.

Are you still getting th error message that the CPU fan is not detected, if so the mother board will shut down to protect the CPU' you need to make sure it is connected to the right pins on the motherboard
Also that power supply is not sufficient for your computer get at least a 450-500watt Good brand do not get a generic as they don't last or put out the wattage advertised

Yeah I remember the message that it wasn't detecting the cpu fan, I'll be getting a new power supply today but can you tell me how to get the computer to detect the fan or will a new power supply be enough?

Check your motherboard manual for the correct location for the CPU fan header (IT is nearly always right along side of the CPU)
If not it usually is printed on the board.
If it's connected to the correct header make sure it is a firm fit and somehow not back the front.

Okay I got the computer to work but now the screen goes blank after windows loading and safe mode doesnt work (stops after agp.sys). Both my ati 9800 and nvidia fx 5200 do this and I know I need the proper display drivers but without safe mode working I can't do it, anyone know how I can get around this using BIOS, making safe mode work or something?

Also I put plug and play to 'Yes'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back