blank screen when trying to boot... svchost.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to back up stuff from my old pc on cd's. it's slow so i thought i'd limit some 'start-up' programs and reboot.

In an atempt to cut down on my start up programs, i need some help on how to re-activate (iguess) the svchost.exe.

This is what i did:
Start - Run - msconfig

Start-up tab - i deselected all programs in the start-up tab, so that computer would have less running so i can back it up faster. svchost.exe was one of those programs.

Now, i start that computer, nothing happens. it powers up, the keyboard lights up but that's it. the monitor stays active (doesn't switch to sleep mode) but there is nothing on the monitor. the 'SONY' screen doesn't appear, no images.
I can see the boot sequence - keyboard - Floppy drive via the lcd lights, but after that nothing.

This is making me nervous, that computer has everything i need to put on my new computer, i can't format the c: until i get those programs and files backed up.

Is there a way to 're-activate' the svchost.exe? can i reset the CMOS battery or somehting?

Windows XP Pro.
800mhz AMD
384mb RAM (SD)

Maybe you have a "Last known good configuration" in your boot menu (press F8 when XP starts to load)?

Interestingly enough, I don't see svchost at all in my msconfig startup tab.

Disabling an msconfig start up item cannot cause Windows not to boot.

svchost.exe should NOT be in msconfig.It must be a trojan of some sort.
When/if you get back into Windows run full anti-spyware scans

Reasons for Windows not booting include,hardware failure,bad drivers,
Security software conflicts,and occasionally,viruses.

Run through the troubleshooting steps HERE and HERE

i switched a hard drive out, made it a master, turned the troubled one into slave to try and access it. that didn't work, but oddly enough i unplugged the monitor and cpu, let them sit for an hour or so, switched the hard drives back to original, and it started fine. maybe my monitor was bugg'n. i did have svchost in my msconfig tho, so i will run a scan, thanx for the info!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with Mict and Peddant. svchost.exe shouldn`t be in msconfig startup.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log into this thread and I`ll advise.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back