Blaze at Samsung backup data center knocks services offline around the world

By Shawn Knight
Apr 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A mid-day fire at a Samsung data center in Gwacheon, South Korea was responsible for temporarily taking a number of the company's services and websites offline on Sunday. Fortunately, there aren't any reports of fatalities and it seems that Samsung...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Apple's sabotage team finally got results then...
    SalaSSin likes this.
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Google's Korean to English captioning needs a little work. The last sentence of the video translated into, "It looks not at the time of the data said".

I hope that they're able to determine the problem with the data center so to prevent their other data centers from catching on fire.
    wastedkill likes this.
  4. I used to bemoan that my Samsung TV was the last model before they started adding "smart" features. Now I am starting to see that as a good thing. My Roku box chugged away without so much as a hickup last night.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,352   +1,945

They should claim on the insurance, vacate the burnt out building and build a swanky new one in Cupertino.
  6. naql99

naql99 TS Rookie

Yes, I was unable to connect to Netflix. My Samsung TV refused to believe it was connected to the internet, so I spent the better part of an hour before I realized that it was failing because the Samsung web site was down.

So, there is the real problem: Samsung wants to funnel all of your internet traffic through their servers so they can monitor your viewing habits, which is pretty horrible. But, making their"smart" TV completely useless whenever their website is down is just stupid.

This *will* factor into my decision before making another "smart" tv purchase.
  7. naql99

naql99 TS Rookie

Roku doesn't funnel it's traffic through the Samsung servers. This article has to do with their "Smarthub" being down.
  8. Gary Morgan

Gary Morgan TS Rookie

This should have never happened this was a major vulnerability; their IT infrastructure should have been designed to support hot sites with no single point of failure. Also the disaster recover (DR) plan should have had SLA of 6 hours or less for essential business services.

This vulnerability should have been identified by the security/DR planners during quarterly audits of their security controls / DR practices .

Looks like a lot of their folks were sleep at the wheel !!!!!

Gary Morgan
  9. My S3 started a "Samsung voice data update" yesterday afternoon and was still downloading this morning. It would restart after numerous manual forced stops. Found an Android software update this morning. After installing that, the Samsung update vanished.
  10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,293   +55

My att uverse hiccupped last night. What a kludge.
  11. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD TS Enthusiast Posts: 38   +17

Hah, I tried to register my newly bought Samsung fridge online on Saturday evening, the whole domain was down. This explains why! Sorry for cursing your shitty website Samsung, didn't realise it was BURNING.
  12. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

I think you need to re-read what he said.
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

So let me guess after this accident it is evident that Samsung can render all your TV's useless at any time. Could this be a glimpse at how easy planned obsolescence can be designed? All they have to do is drop one feature and the whole TV has a heart attack. I think we need common knowledge ways to protect ourselves from these things.