Blizzard is reportedly prepping an HD remaster of StarCraft

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Blizzard Entertainment is reportedly working on an HD remaster of StarCraft, the popular real-time strategy game originally released nearly two decades ago. The new game could be announced as early as next month according to multiple sources as reported by Korean news site iNews24 (via Polygon).

The report claims the remastered version, affectionately dubbed StarCraft HD, will feature enhanced graphics and a new user interface. Purists will be happy to know that the original gameplay will go unmolested.

While there aren’t a ton of details to share right now, we should learn more about the game next month followed by a larger reveal at BlizzCon in November. Why not wait until November for a big reveal at BlizzCon, you ask?

According to one tipster, the StarCraft II World Championship Series will be wrapping up next month in Mexico. Announcing a remastered classic among diehard fans of the franchise is difficult to fault.

StarCraft hit the scene in 1998 and was followed by a couple of add-on packs before a true sequel, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, dropped in 2010. The original is still an incredibly popular title among gamers, especially those in Korea. As Polygon highlights, the game draws thousands of players to Internet cafes across the country on a regular basis.

As always, keep in mind that this is strictly a rumor at this point as Blizzard has yet to confirm the news (and probably won’t until the big reveal).

Permalink to story.

Where's the love for Warcraft 3?

I'm still waiting for official classic WoW servers. Bliz should take the game as it was just before 2.0 launched (Drums of War?), perhaps add a little content here and there for variety and let people pay $20 to keep their old character names. Better yet, add a few of the 2.0 UI conveniences like quest tracking and some kind of level sync feature so it would be easier to find parties. Higher level chars who "synced down" with lowbies would earn some kind of honor points rather than XP. If they did this I really think it would bring back some of the old-timers as well as give the youngin's a chance to experience it all for the first time. Gonig forward, they could retool WOTLK slightly so it could be released as the *first* expansion for WoW Classic - like it always SHOULD have been.

Iv known this for 9 months. Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft.
http://wccftech.com/blizzard-hd-remaster-starcraft-warcraft-iii-diablo-ii/

I'm still waiting for official classic WoW servers. Bliz should take the game as it was just before 2.0 launched (Drums of War?), perhaps add a little content here and there for variety and let people pay $20 to keep their old character names. Better yet, add a few of the 2.0 UI conveniences like quest tracking and some kind of level sync feature so it would be easier to find parties. Higher level chars who "synced down" with lowbies would earn some kind of honor points rather than XP. If they did this I really think it would bring back some of the old-timers as well as give the youngin's a chance to experience it all for the first time. Gonig forward, they could retool WOTLK slightly so it could be released as the *first* expansion for WoW Classic - like it always SHOULD have been.

Private servers

Iv known this for 9 months. Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft.
http://wccftech.com/blizzard-hd-remaster-starcraft-warcraft-iii-diablo-ii/

Private servers
but blizzard commented on that job posting and said it's just to ensure those games are working in Windows 10 properly. guess we'll have to wait and see if that was true or not.

I hope they keep the map / campaign editor. I would actually spend more time with the map editor than I would with the actual game.

Starcraft/brood war is of course a brilliant game but RTS isn't really my thing anymore , I pray to the gods for a diablo 2 remaster.

The fond memories of playing Starcraft in LAN parties in the college apartment on campus. Having my 4 port Netgear ethernet hub setup, and every one plugged into it. What a blast it was.

I just hope they give the Ghost's nuke graphical justice that it deserves. I remember being so excited back in 1998 to see the nuke's animation for the first time. Starcraft was cutting edge graphics back then and I was utterly utterly utterly disappointed by the nuke's animation.

Releasing previous expansions would mean that they agree their new expansions are crap and it would make them look bad. Also they said they can't do it cause they don't have the database of vanilla or something.

but blizzard commented on that job posting and said it's just to ensure those games are working in Windows 10 properly. guess we'll have to wait and see if that was true or not.
Link it please. And seeing sc1 is almost confirmed I don't see why the others would not follow suit. I really don't believe you to be honest proof! ;)

p.s. When that article came out all 3 games were already up and running on 10.

New UI?

The UI is absolutely fine.

New graphics?

They're pixel based; it's timeless.

All it needs is to run in a modern resolution instead of a tiny box that strains our eyes. And maybe have SC2's QoL features (unlimited unit selection, better waypoints, etc).

Oh, and support 21:9, which Blizzard keep going back and forth about. ("it's cheating" one party says [SC/OW], while the other supports it [HotS])

Back