Blizzard reveals Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void opening cinematic trailer and release date

midian182

Staff member

During the Starcraft II World Championship Series last weekend, developers Blizzard took the opportunity to unveil both a spectacular opening trailer and the release date for the third and final chapter of the SCII trilogy, Legacy of the Void.

This time the game revolves around the technologically advanced Protoss race and features the alien leader’s giant flagship, The Spear of Adun, as Legacy of the Void's hub. The trailer shows a battle between the Protoss and the Zerg, as the former attempt to reclaim their homeworld from the swarming menace.

The expansion will tie up Starcraft II’s story, revealing the fates of Jim Raynor and Zerg Queen Kerrigan. The game will also introduce the new Archon mode, which allows two players to share control over a single base and battle against an opposing pair of combatants. Another new feature is the Allied Commanders mode, which brings more RPG elements to the game and adds objective-based co-op missions.

Blizzard revealed that Legacy of the Void will be released on November 10th this year. A pretty brave date to choose, seeing as it’s the same day both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 are being released.

Legacy of the Void can be pre-ordered now at a price of $40 for the standard version. There’s also a $60 ‘deluxe’ edition that offers a few extra goodies like new unit skins and bonuses for other Blizzard games such as Heroes of the Storm. Anyone who does decide to preorder will get immediate access to the Legacy of the Void beta, which lets players try the three 'Whispers of Oblivion' prologue missions.

Once the king of the eSports scene, Starcraft II and its expansions have lost ground in recent years to the likes of Dota 2 and League of Legends. Blizzard will likely be hoping that Legacy of the Void and its new multiplayer game modes will give the series a boost in popularity, and remind people what makes Starcraft such a fantastic multiplayer title.

Permalink to story.

Ha ha I still think Blizzard and Square Enix could easily go the movie studio route with how good they are at trailers and cutscenes.

Ha ha I still think Blizzard and Square Enix could easily go the movie studio route with how good they are at trailers and cutscenes.
With 3 minute movie very few years they would be out of business very fast as a studio, don't You think?
Besides, November 10 is Fallout 4 release and for hardcore gamers outside world will not exist for at least a month. Strange strategy to undercut Your child this way to have it compete against favorite kid at school?

With 3 minute movie very few years they would be out of business very fast as a studio, don't You think?
I think it is silly that Blizzard would take the required time, money, and manpower to make a feature length film and instead make a 3 minute theatrical trailer. Oh wait, they didn't.

Square Enix on the otherhand... probably does. XD

Besides, November 10 is Fallout 4 release and for hardcore gamers outside world will not exist for at least a month. Strange strategy to undercut Your child this way to have it compete against favorite kid at school?

Why is Fallout 'Blizz's favorite kid at school?' Blizz has been releasing games Mid Nov. for years. Next year it will probably be a WoW expansion. Mid Nov is normal for those. It's a perfect time for a game release... cold weather for many = more time indoors. It's 2 weeks ahead of the biggest shopping season of the year. And it's far enough ahead of Christmas to get the bugs out of the servers and get the hardcore gamers playtime smoothed out for better server load.

It makes a lot of sense... which is why there are a few games coming out that day.

Getting Fallout 4 at launch is probably a mistake. An open world game by Bethesda? Bugs and performance issues out the wazoo and more time means more mods to fix things and/or make the game better. Legacy of the Void seems like a safer choice, Battle.net issues notwithstanding.

I'm just glad that XCOM 2 got delayed.

Blizzard is king of cinematics. I have yet to be disappointed by them (and this one is now #1 with me, mostly because I love the Protoss)

Yeah, Protoss fanboi here too. I bought the swarm expansion and never played it. This video got my attention.

I am so excited about this. Stunning video as usual by Blizzard/Square Enix. We need a full movie about this.
totally awesome!

Looking forward to getting back into some SC2 due to the lure of the expansion. Have switched to Heroes of the Storm for my pickup and play gaming fix.

As a long time fan of stacraft (and broodwar expansion) and starcraft 2 (wings of liberty and heart of the swarm), I am again, for the nth time,
wet like October...
(as said by Titus Pullo on the hit tv series, Rome)

Back