Blizzard sells 2.7 million copies of 'Diablo III: Reaper of Souls' expansion pack

Shawn Knight

Staff member

diablo iii reaper souls dlc

If sales figures alone are any indication, the first expansion for Diablo III is off to a solid start. Blizzard recently revealed that Diablo III: Reaper of Souls has sold 2.7 million copies online and at retailers since its release on March 25.

Blizzard co-founder and CEO Mike Morhaime said with the expansion, they wanted to emphasize all the things that Diablo gamers have always loved about the series, from the dark gothic setting to the piles and piles of epic loot. He added that Blizzard is excited to see that players are enjoying the changes they’ve made to the game.

The expansion adds a number of new features including a new act that plays out in Westmarch, a new playable character class known as The Crusader, updated loot rewards, an increased level cap, all-new class skills and abilities, replayable content in the form of Bounties and Nephalem Rifts, a new Adventure Mode and the new Mystic Artisan.

The numbers are no doubt impressive but at the same time, they aren’t all that surprising. The game got off to a solid start following its May 2012 launch and had sold more than 12 million copies by the end of the year. It was the most pre-ordered Blizzard game ever at the time.

It’s worth pointing out that the expansion is only available for Windows PC and Mac at this point. The expansion will be rolled into a version of the game known as Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition for the PlayStation 4 later this year. It’ll also arrive on the Xbox One at some point, we're hearing.

Permalink to story.

I was SUPER hyped about diablo 3 release but when I played it I couldnt get into it at all dunno why the gameplay looked amazing but I just couldn't get into it at all, I know a few friends who have got the new expansion and love it they are asking me to join but I dunno diablo just isnt fun for me but in theory it should be as I love games like it :/

I bought it on PC at release and it was ok, not great. Auction house made you consider selling every item and the it quality was generally low.

But it is soooo good on xbox 360. I have played it for hours with the missus. We have multiple characters, it's so much fun. I just hope they don't overlook releasing a 360 dlc of this expansion as the adventure mode sounds great but they have said something about not wanting to go back to developing for ps3/360 after developing for xbox one and ps4. Sucks if that's true.

No way this is true. I read a forum one time and it said D3 was a failure and was going to cause the end of Blizzard.

The expansion is very solid and Blizzard corrected many of shortcomings of D3. I am having a great time with it and I recommend it to any ARPG fan.

I'm glad to hear you say that Tito!
I've installed the game but have not gotten around to play it yet, maybe this weekend :)

Last edited:
With Fail Wilson gone, the game is finally what it should have been when it launched. Still, 40 $ is a bit of a steeper for one extra act and character. Blizzard doesn't "disappoint" there.

That being said, the game is now as fun as it should be. We're finally able to enjoy teaming up, as opposed to the old "get out of my game, monster scaling is insane".

It would have sold a lot more if they didn't screwed up D3 with Auction House in the first place, now it left a bitter taste on some players( several millions?). Greed kills the cat.

I didn't enjoy D3 at launch. However, I've recently picked it and the expansion up and I really like it. Blizzard fixed a TON of the issues with the game. I would recommend it to friends now. Although, like everyone else, the $40.00 for the expansion is a bit steep for what it offers. I got it on sale for a couple bucks cheaper but, It'd be nice to see a real decrease in price.

I was switching between GW2 and Path Of Exile and I can honestly say that I haven't touched either since 2.0 Patch came out. I was a Paragon 3 before the expansion. I just hit Paragon 102 today. There is just something about that next loot drop that baits you in and you're hooked.

I'm glad to hear you say that Tito!
I've installed the game but have not gotten around to play it yet, maybe this weekend :)

I bought the expo a few days ago, SO MANY MORE DROPS. Also the game itself is not as bad as I remember. I love how many cool little side quests there are that you just stumble on. The 4 player max per game and lack of fun duel modes is what is really holding d3 back. Let players join a 8+ player max game like in d2 and duel from town for fun or loot or points. Let people make games where 8+ players can run around and do whatever they want. If they each want to do there own quests who cares. There is no community, say you are in a clan, well only 4 of you can even do anything together. Make a for fun achievement boss that take 10 people to take down.

Make a game where 20 people can join just to hang out if they want or duel for fun/trade(if u can still trade in any way).

And really you only added 1 character lame.

But I like EVERYTHING they added in the expo, loot, no ah, adventure, the other mode, etc.

Gave it a run this weekend, really enjoyed it.
It's allot more addictive than Diablo III was (Just one more dungeon ;))

Back