Blogger Gets 4 Years for Insulting Islam
Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:28 PM EST
The Associated Press
By NADIA ABOU EL-MAGD

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt (AP) — An Egyptian blogger was convicted Thursday and
sentenced to four years in prison for insulting Islam, the Prophet Muhammad
and Egypt's president, sending a chill through fellow Internet writers who fear
a government crackdown.

Abdel Kareem Nabil, a 22-year-old former student at Egypt's Al-Azhar University,
an Islamic institution, was a vocal secularist and sharp critic of conservative
Muslims in his blog. He also lashed out often at Al-Azhar — the most
prominent religious center in Sunni Islam — calling it "the university of
terrorism" and accusing it of encouraging extremism.

the abstract above is from this article

jobeard said:
lesson: Be careful when/where you criticize
===========================================
Blogger Gets 4 Years for Insulting Islam
Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:28 PM EST
The Associated Press
By NADIA ABOU EL-MAGD

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt (AP) — An Egyptian blogger was convicted Thursday and
sentenced to four years in prison for insulting Islam, the Prophet Muhammad
and Egypt's president, sending a chill through fellow Internet writers who fear
a government crackdown.

Abdel Kareem Nabil, a 22-year-old former student at Egypt's Al-Azhar University,
an Islamic institution, was a vocal secularist and sharp critic of conservative
Muslims in his blog. He also lashed out often at Al-Azhar — the most
prominent religious center in Sunni Islam — calling it "the university of
terrorism" and accusing it of encouraging extremism.

the abstract above is from this article

That is like ***** up big time! I would back him up for that (whoa headrush...d@mn dizzy)

Stupid light headedness.

Edited for language.

His lawyer, Ahmed Seif el-Islam, said he would appeal the verdict, saying the ruling will "terrify other bloggers and will negative impact on the freedom of expression in Egypt."

It just might at that ;)

Isn't Egypt a free speech supporting country?
That is ridiculous! yeah i support him aswell!

obviously you've never been in a true islamic country.....

In western societies it's considered acceptable to blashpheme Jesus and the mother of God.

Try blaspheming Mohammed in a muslim country...

True that. But isn't Jesus considered a prophet by the Muslims?

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Freedom of Blogging

Tedster said:
obviously you've never been in a true islamic country.....

In western societies it's considered acceptable to blashpheme Jesus and the mother of God.

Try blaspheming Mohammed in a muslim country...

This just goes to show everyone that we have so many more rights here in the Unites States, than those in other countries.
Hope all is well Tedster!

Stacey said:
This just goes to show everyone that we have so many more rights here in the Unites States, than those in other countries.
Hope all is well Tedster!

Not really try it here in the states, you get nailed here to for talking bad about the muslim fath.

Must be PC and all that.

Over here in the UK we like to think we have the freedom of speech, I called a spade a spade the other day and got kicked out of the B+Q garden centre, thing was it was a spade.

Mind you I went into a computer shop the other day, and someone told me I had to watch what I said and did, I asked why and they said it was PC world.

But on a serious note, we just overturned the right for Muslim females to wear the balaclava thing that covers there face, slowly but surely were turning away from the PC thing in favour of common sense.

This guy who stated what he did must have been aware of his actions, the same as inciting a riot in the Uk is lllegal, whether it be in a pub or on a blog, you have to watch what you say as someone will take offense, if its an indivudual then nothing gets done, if however its a big organization like the government, then heads will roll.

Just my 5p worth personnally I spend too much time stoned or drunk to worry to much about life....

stindle said:
Not really try it here in the states, you get nailed here to for talking bad about the muslim fath.

Must be PC and all that.

Really?! I dont think so. The muslims in the states have a real hard time in the states both in the media and generally.

I agree, and since the people in the US are strict when it comes to our own democratic government (as in freedom for this, and not for that), people would probably want something done....I have seen things like that happen before.

IBN said:
Really?! I don't think so. The Muslims in the states have a real hard time in the states both in the media and generally.
If you think back before this so called "war on terrorism" (seems like 30 yrs.ago), one did not hear much about Islam or Muslims. It has only been since this war that this faith has been in the media so hot and heavy. I wonder why? All one hears about these days is " Muslim this or Islam that" I for one don't think it's the actual faith that is the problem, it's the American "reaction" to the the war and the jihad(? spelling). the ones that are attacking "in the name of Islam" are the ones making it hard for the peaceable Muslims. By the way i am not Muslim, these are just my thoughts on the subject.
Tony

I agree with what you say Tony but have you ever walked into a house with a muslim family in it to fix an Digital TV aerial and after quoting a price (a standard price) and been accused of 'over charging because of my faith and colour'. My best friend is a Hindu and i have known him 6-7 years maybe and i have heard him/ heard of him call someone racist once and when he did this i was there and it was another guy being racist. When i was at College there was a group of muslims on my bus there and i was only on the bus say 4 months and they accused people of being racist at least once a week. I am not saying all muslims are like this but some(i repeat some to cover my back here) pull the race card as a way of gettings things and getting out of things. Its all to common nowadays, the governments we all must be politically correct idea should be scrapped. One other thing whats the difference between a brit being called a brit and a pakistani being called a paki?
My point is there
Regards

I think there a few things we need to put into consideration. Firstly not a day goes by without any mention of Muslims and Islam in the media, which are now being synonmously used with the word terrorist and terrorism.

Well over a Million muslims have been killed in wars across several muslim countries; namely Afganistan, Iraq, Lebanon Palestine, Burma, Chechnya. This has been since the year 2001. And It doesnt seem like this is going to end soon.

On Egypt, they dont implement the Islamic Law in their Country. Egypt is well known for torturing and killing many of its own Muslim citizens. You guys may not know this but Egypt's government doesnt like Islam. Infact it actively seeks to crush any sort of religious movements that aim to promote Islam through torture etc. Most/All of the current Arab country leaders were instated by the British and the West.

This may come as a suprise to many of you. But this is the case across every single muslim country even Saudi Arabia. Every single Muslim country apart from Iran is an ally of the West. The issue with the blogger is just a hoax to appease the silent majority within the country.

On the "Paki" issue I would disagree with the above poster. The term paki is used in a derogratory manner unlike the term Brit. If you dont understand this then you dont understand the nuances of the language.

The manner in which the above poster was treated ie being called a racist for quoting charges, I say that is wrong but let not that be a means of you stereotyping the other over 1 billion muslims worldwide.

It does surprise me to learn that Syria and the Palestinians are allies of the West. Beyond that, if you include Israel as part of the 'West' (which they certainly consider themselves to be) does your statement still hold about all of the other Muslim countries? One final question, how tolerant (non-racist) are Muslim countries when it comes to the Christians and Jews in their populations?

NetCablesPlus said:
It does surprise me to learn that Syria and the Palestinians are allies of the West. Beyond that, if you include Israel as part of the 'West' (which they certainly consider themselves to be) does your statement still hold about all of the other Muslim countries? One final question, how tolerant (non-racist) are Muslim countries when it comes to the Christians and Jews in their populations?
Considering all of North Africa and the entire middle east was Christian prior to Mohammed, I would say no- they're not tolerant.

To this very day there are Churches intact that are thousands of years old, in Arab countries.In come parts of Syria they still speak Aramaic, (the language which Jesus spoke). There are thousands of districts scattered around the Arab countries. They have their own priests rituals etc.

The other thing is that if you travel to any Arab country as a foreigner you will actually see with your own eyes Churches/Synagogues and Priests in Arab countries. They dress very simalarly too.

Jews, Christians and Muslims have been living with each other for centuries, especially in Arab/Muslim countries. They all share the same Abrahamic roots so they do have something in common unlike other religions.

@Tedster North Africa and the Middle East was colonised by European Empires not too long ago and now they've set up pupet regimes and are draining the oil out of these regions. I dont find that tolerant.

And in this religiously tolerant Arab world, if a Muslim citizen decides to convert to Christianity or Judaism, it is perfectly fine (as would be the reverse in the West?) And these same tolerant Muslim/Arab countries are happy to live side by side with the Jews in Israel as they have been doing for centuries in their own countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back